Stay strong

Chapter 65:

I didn't know if the next 5 months went by fast or slow. Every day I would wake up and go to the hospital to see Peeta. At least that's what I did for the first three months... It became really hard for me to stay in such an environment for a long time and I felt really depressed. So Prim decided it would be best for me to stop visiting so much and asked me to find other things to keep my mind off of the situation. Of course she said the same thing everyone else has been saying for some time, "He will be okay,"

I practiced archery with Gale all the time and that helped only a little. So what I have done for the past week is that I stayed over at Annie's house in District 7 for a few days. It really helped to clear my mind, but my heart still felt heavy.

I sat at Annie's kitchen table and looked out the small window over the sink. I then felt something pull on my sweater and a squeaky voice said, "Kat," I quickly looked down to see little Finn staring at me with beautiful green eyes, just like his father's. "Kat," he said again with a smile and took my hand in his small ones. "Are you sad?" he asked. I smiled down at him and brushed brown curls of hair out of his eyes. "No Finn, I'm not sad I'm," I paused for a moment and kneeled down in front of him. "I'm just nostalgic," I said. "What's that?" Finn asked in complete innocence. "I'm missing something that's all," I softly kissed his cheek and turned to see Annie. "Good morning," she smiled and patted Finn's head before sitting down. "Good morning mommy!" Finn jumped in her lap excitedly. She laughed and hugged him close to her. "Hello Annie," I greeted. She noticed my shaking hands and then sighed. "You okay Katniss?" she asked. I nodded. "I just don't want to go back to 12, I've had so much fun here," I said, remembering all the things I had done, like teaching Finn a little about archery and going swimming. "Then stay forever!" Finn waved his arms in the air. "I wish I could Finn but I have to go back," I explained. "Awwww," he groaned. Annie and I laughed and I looked back at the door.

"Must you go? It will only make it worse," Annie said. I looked at my hands. "I have to. It's Peeta's birthday and I haven't visited him in a while," I said. Annie simply nodded.