56 - Emmy

Dedicated to Phoenixsister!  I had fun writing this chapter :)  Enjoy!

The performance has left me buzzing.  I can't sit still, my body urging me to move around, but I force myself to quit fidgeting.  I'm on live TV.  I don't want people thinking I need the toilet.

The adrenaline is wearing off but it helps me get through the first half of the interview without really thinking too hard about it.  It's full of fake laughing and plastic smiles.  The female presenter, Yazmine someone, is blonde and busty and totally Vince's type.  She keeps leaning across to me, patting my arm and telling me how gorgeous I am as she thrusts her cleavage in my face.  The guy looks to be around twenty-five.  His black hair is fashioned in a sort of Bruno Mars type quiff and he stinks of aftershave.  I wrinkle my nose every time he shifts in his seat, enveloping me in the smell.

The small crowd that had gathered around the stage during my performance has moved to huddle around the sofa.  Tanya's standing off to the side of the studio.  I glance at her every now and again to see that she's offering me encouraging smiles.

The only thing keeping me from throwing up is the thought of getting to see Sam again soon.  Tanya's promised that I can move back into the flat as soon as tomorrow and I can't wait.  I keep the image of Sam in the foreground of my mind, imagining that he's in the audience with Ollie and Vince.  I would have loved to have performed with them just now but Tanya's sure that me making an appearance here on my own will do wonders for Sketch's popularity and I trust her to have Sketch's best interest at heart.

I fiddle with a thread on my shirt.  I'd been dressed and made-over by a professional stylist.  I'd gone along with almost everything she'd said but I'd put my foot down at fishnet tights and heels.  I'm not some sexy rocker chick.  I'm just Emmy with the wild blonde hair, though today it's been straightened and covered in products to make it shine even blonder under the studio lights.  I'm not complaining.  I look great, and I've been told that by everyone who's bought me food or drinks or helped me rehearse.  I just hope Sam likes it.

"Emmy?"

I blink, looking up at Yazmine from under thick lashes.  She's smiling her toothy grin at me.  "Pardon?"

She laughs and the crowd breaks out with little bursts of conversation.  The guy, Andrew, settles them down with a wave of his hands.

"Emmy.  A little overwhelmed are we?"

I nod.  "Uh, yeah."

He smiles a grin that's a touch more genuine than Yazmine's.  "I bet you're nervous."

I smile meekly, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.  "Really nervous.  I've never done TV before."

"Is it true you came from nowhere?" Yazmine asks.  "You were spotted at an audition for a musical."

"Yeah.  I was there with my sister, Tabatha, and she made me audition.  Tanya saw me and asked if I wanted to join a band."

"And it was as simple as that?" Andrew asks, rubbing a thumb along the dark stubble on his jaw. 

I get distracted by thoughts of Sam for a moment before I shake myself out of it.  "Uh huh.  I just turned up in London and then I moved in with the band."

"The band," Yazmine says, raising her eyebrows at the crowd, evoking a few screeches and whoops.  "They're pretty hot guys, huh?"

I can't help snorting.  I cup a hand to my face and cringe.

Andrew chuckles.  "So they're not hot?"

"Oh no, they are," I say, hurrying to move on from snort-gate.  "I just see them more as friends."