12 - Emmy

Dedicated to BeatifulDreamer!

I stand stock still and it's not until I hear Tanya muttering under her breath that I realise I actually said those words out loud.  I mean, what the hell?  Why did I just go and do that?

Tanya lifts her hand from my arm and offers me a sympathetic smile although I can tell that she's a bit surprised at my outburst.  Her eyebrows are titled upwards slightly, her eyes wider than they've been all day.

"I'll be back in a second," she assures me before she heads off towards the door that Sam had slammed only moments before. 

It's when she's out of sight that I bring a hand to my mouth, mumbling into my palm.

"Way to make an entrance."

My gaze whips to Vince, who's leaning back into the cushions on a large leather sofa.  His brown eyes are glistening with amusement.

"Ignore him."

I blink at Ollie, who hasn't moved from just in front of me.  I shrug and mumble a sarcastic well done to myself into my hand again.

"It's not your fault," Ollie insists and I realise that Tabs was right.  He does seem friendly and I'm glad.  I don't need to make any more enemies.

I grimace as I lower my hand.  "I'm so sorry."

"Don't apologise," Ollie interjects, shaking his head.  His hair falls into his eyes and he flicks it back.  "He deserved it."

"I say things without thinking," I blurt.  Way to prove your point.

He laughs. "Like I said, he had it coming."

I shift on the spot, still standing in the doorway, and Ollie seems to notice.

"Come sit down," he says, leading me over to the second giant sofa. 

I crash down next to him and let out a sigh.  Vince is staring at me over his phone, which he's holding cradled in both hands like a baby, and I feel another comment on my tongue but I swallow it down.  No more enemies.

His blonde eyebrows lower as he squints at me.  "Yep."

I start at his loud comment.  "Uh, yep what?"

He sits back, showing off a showbiz smile.  "I definitely like you."

Ollie snorts.  "You like anyone who pisses Sam off."  Then he seems to realise what he's just said. "Not that you've, you know, pissed him off.  Majorly," he adds quickly.

I screw my eyes up before turning to look at Ollie.  I can tell he's beating himself up about his last comment.

"It's my fault," I say.  "I panicked.  I'm not too good at first impressions."

"Sam has that problem, too," Vince pipes up from opposite me.  "He's famous for making girls cry."

Ollie gives Vince a hard look but I pretend not to notice.  I clasp my hands in my lap, resisting the urge to pick at my nail varnish, but I can feel myself fidgeting.  I hadn't got a door in the face, but Sam had stormed off.  The last thing I want is to make things awkward.  These guys already have a life and I don't want them feeling like I'm intruding in on it.  I sigh under my breath but Ollie hears it.

"You'll be fine." 

His smile is warm and I want to hug him for being so friendly when I've gone and narked his brother.  I wonder how siblings can be so different for a second but then I realise how dissimilar Tabs and I can be.  I'm strong-willed to a point, but Tabs can argue all day.