113 - Sam

I'm not sure if I'm enjoying being back on the set of LZ TV or not.  I'm certainly not excited to see the crazy blonde host again - she creeps me out.  But Jeremy and Tanya assure us that this interview is the one last push until our album is finally released on Liberty records, so I grin and bear it, not wanting to let anyone down.

My mood changes dramatically, however, when I spot someone coming towards me at lightning speed.  My first impulse is to hide, but the corridor is narrow with no-where to run.  For the second time today, I force myself to suck it up and get on with something I'd rather not do.  If only I hadn't insisted on leaving to get a drink.

Michelle looks as cold as ever, stalking, rather than walking, right up into my personal space.  She always did know how to push my buttons.

"Where is she?"

I bite my lip, letting a sigh out through my nose.  "Hi Michelle.  How are you?  I'm good, thanks for asking."

Her eyes flash and I can't deny the way it scares me.  "Where is she?"  Her voice is needle sharp, splintering the otherwise silence in the empty corridor.

"Emmy's in the dressing room," I reply reluctantly.  "I doubt they'll let you in though."  Why she's even here is ridiculous.  I have no idea what she aims to achieve, other than more upset.

Michelle shakes her head hard, her dark hair whipping around her shoulders.  "Not Emmy, you idiot.  My mum.  Where is she?"

I can't help noticing how her voice cracked when she asked for her mum.  For the first time in a long time, a tiny bit of sympathy seeps out for the girl who poisons everything she touches but then I see the way she's looking at me with distaste and any empathy disappears.

"She's around somewhere.  I haven't seen her for a while.  Not since sound check."

Michelle's fists ball at her sides, her jaw clenching under her pale skin.  "Whatever, Sam.  Get out my way."

I step aside immediately, just in time for her to flounce off towards the staff canteen.  I look down at the forgotten bottle of orangeade in my hand.  I tear the cap off and down as much as I can before I have to come back up for air.  My tongue fizzles from the bubbles but I'm glad.  Anything to get the putrid taste of talking to Michelle out of my mouth.

I make my way back to our dressing room quickly, the buzz for preforming no longer as present.  I know Michelle won't be here, having stormed off the other way, but I still sigh in relief when I only see Emmy, Vince and Ollie crowded around a table filled with snacks.

Emmy spots me in the doorway and holds up a can of orangeade, smiling a toothy grin.  "They dropped all this off just after you left."

I manage a nod, crossing the room to give her a hug.

She laughs.  "What was that for?  You weren't gone that long, were you?"

I shake my head.  "No.  But I'm just glad to be back."

Vince frowns at me in between bites of a sausage roll.  "Why?  Where have you been?"

"The canteen," I say, though I know his question wasn't meant to be answered.  He's just giving himself time to think of an insult.

"What's so stressful about a canteen?" Vince adds almost lamely.

"Nothing," I assure him.  "I was fine until I bumped into Michelle."

Ollie almost chokes on a cocktail sausage, spluttering at my words.  "What?  Why the hell is she here?"

"Looking for Tanya," I reply.  "That's all she asked, too.  Nothing about our new record deal."