17 - Sam

Dedicated to PAL015!

Vince cooks us our evening meal.  I'd thought he'd been joking when he'd first tried to convince me that he could cook but, after trying his famous spag-bol, I'd been more than convinced.  Emmy doesn't seem to judge him purely on his appearance though.  She doesn't turn her nose up at trying the meal he's made us, which is lasagne tonight, but instead tucks in like she hasn't eaten all day even though her and Tandy ate almost a whole family-size bag of crisps between them just now.

I'd watched them both from behind my magazine.  I know that Tandy knows I was watching, but I'm not so sure about Emmy.  I've got ignoring her down to an art now.  I've got almost ninja style reflexes, snapping my gaze back to my book as soon as she looks like she's about to glance my way.

It's childish really, ignoring someone because you'd rather they weren't there.  Thing is, now I've spent a day in Emmy's company, I've come to realise that she's not that bad.  Course, she could have some sort of irritating habit that I haven't come to experience yet.  Apart from the accidental honesty/bluntness, she seems pretty normal.  Emphasis on pretty.

I've had the day to take in what Kevin said about Emmy being a looker and he's right.  Even though it goes against my plan to blank her as part of a test, it's hard to ignore the fact that she's cute.  It's a strange feeling to think that I'm turning towards actually accepting Emmy when I was so against her at first.  It isn't so much her though, but the idea of a girl ruining the band again.  I mean, we haven't heard her sing yet.  Being our new singer, along with me of course, could be rubbish if she doesn't fit in musically.  She can be the nicest person, but if she sounds like a mouse on crack, then I'm putting my foot down.  No tests either.

"You fancy her."

I jump as I hear Ollie's voice.  Tandy left after we finished eating.  Emmy is helping Vince wash up, which is a miracle in itself really, seeing as I'd had to pay him to clean up after himself last time.  I know he's only doing it to impress her again, but I can tell by the way that she keeps sniggering behind his back that it's not working.  It's like someone keeps whispering some private joke in her ear every time Vince finishes one of his amazing stories about himself and Sketch.

I turn to Ollie who's slumped on the sofa next to me.  I glare at him.  "Don't think they heard you on the moon."

He laughs.

"And in answer to your assumption, no I do not."

Ollie taps his nose but gets up before I can launch myself in his direction.

"Time will tell," he says, smiling to himself as he disappears to his room.

I shake my head and look back over to Emmy and Vince.  They're still washing up, Vince considerably closer to Emmy than he was just now.  She laughs, probably at how unfunny Vince is, and the sound makes me want to join in, but before the expression can appear on my face I get up and head to the safety of my room.  Just because she's cute, it doesn't mean that I can trust her.  Fool me once, shame on me.  Fool me twice, shame on you.  Or whatever the saying is.