41 - Sam

Dedicated to kween_meeh!  Early update today as I'm out for the day.  Enjoy :)

The next day is spent pretending to be just friends with Emmy.  Every time I see her smile my gut flips and every single time I hear her laugh my mood lifts, even when I lose three times on the trot to Ollie at the new football game for the games-station.

I know she likes me too.  I'd been dying to kiss her again last night and I've got a feeling that I would have got my way if Vince hadn't come home.  Emmy seems to be everywhere I am today.  She's in the kitchen when I fetch a drink.  In the bathroom when I need to clean my teeth and watching TV when I feel like laughing at some crap comedy.  It's like I'm not allowed to forget that she's here but it's not as if she's not already on my mind. I can't stop thinking about her and I know I've got it bad.  Yes, maybe it's all happening a bit fast.  We've gone from enemies to friends in almost a day and now I want her as my girlfriend.  The thought catches me off guard and I lean into the kitchen counter, realising I'm hovering my hands above the water without actually washing anything up. I shake my head, wondering how long I've been standing like this, before I force myself to think about something else.

I manage a whole ten seconds before I smell Emmy's perfume.  I look to my left to see her staring into the fridge.  The best thing to do would be to ignore her, but I know I can't.  Her presence is infectious and talking to her is too much of a great thing.

"Hungry?"

She rests her head on her arm and smiles.  "Yeah.  Mum would say I'm grazing."

I smile back, shaking my wet hands over the sink before snatching up the tea-towel to dry them.  "What do you fancy?"

She laughs and winks and I want to know if that's meant as 'you'.  "Uh, chocolate."

I set the tea-towel down on the counter.  "There should be some in the bottom drawer."  I move behind her, reaching over her shoulder to pull open the drawer I'm referring to.  She leans back into me slightly and I drop my chin so it's resting on her head. 

"I want white chocolate," she says, her voice cracking a little.

I smile at the thought that I'm making her nervous even though my own pulse is anything but steady.  "Oh."

She steps forwards and shuts the refrigerator.  "Where's the nearest shop?"

"A five minute walk away."

"Show me," she says.

I feel a grin on my face but it slips away as soon as I spot Michelle in the doorway.  Her narrowed eyes are on me.  I'd been so wrapped up in Emmy's company that I hadn't even heard her come in.  Emmy seems to share my enthusiasm for Michelle's arrival.  She rolls her eyes and mutters to herself before heading to her room.  Michelle takes Emmy's leave as her cue to come over. 

Ollie, who I guess had let her in, is sending me an apologetic smile.  It doesn't squash the dislike building in my gut as Michelle approaches.  She looks up at me from under her long lashes but it doesn't make butterflies fill my stomach like it does when Emmy looks at me that way.

"Sammy," she says, sidling up to me and resting a hand on my arm.

I shake her off.  "'Chelle."

She grins.  "Got rid of that sket just in time."

I bite the inside of my cheek.  "Michelle," I say, my voice set in a warning tone.   She senses it, trailing a hand up to my shoulder.  I shrug her off again.   "'Chelle!"

"Ready."

I look over at Emmy, giving her  a warm smile.  Michelle digs her nails into my skin.