107 - Sam

The day after the auditions we meet up with Stan.  Tanya's rented a recording studio for the day and Stan offered to come along and help us practise for the charity gig.  He's helping us out as a friend and it's nice to know that he doesn't agree with what happened between us and Walter's records.

He tells us how much he wants us to succeed, in his own roundabout way.  It's nice seeing him again.  I kind of missed his grumpy face and lack of enthusiasm on Monday's; he once told me he might actually smile if Monday's were eradicated from the days of the week.

Michelle's song seems to be playing every time I turn the radio on so I ban music in the car and in the flat unless it's coming from a CD.  I don't even know why it's so popular and at risk of sounding jealous I don't know what the fuss is all about.  It's generic at best and I'm actually a little disappointed in Michelle.  I'd at least have thought that she'd have produced something worthwhile if she went through all the effort of destroying our career so that she could have hers.  She's only singing about boys to a half familiar bass line.  It's less than impressive. 

I turn the stereo in my bedroom up a notch, drowning out the sound of Michelle's song in my head in favour or Paramore.  Good music makes me want to write and I grab the nearest notepad and start to scribble down ideas.  Broken promises.  Faded memories.  Crossed fingers. 

I'm pouring lyrics onto the page via a pen whose ink is fading fast when Emmy bounds into the room.  Her smile brightens the room immediately, outshining the dark clouds that have surrounded me as I've been writing. 

Emmy stops just in front of where I'm sitting at my desk.  Her eyes land on my open notepad and her smile widens.

"You're writing?"

I nod, my own gaze taking in what I've written.  It's dark.  No wonder why Emmy's presence seems to have lifted my mood dramatically.

"Anything worth keeping?" she adds, perching on my knee.

I hug her before shrugging.  "It's all worth keeping," I reply, flicking through the notepad with one hand, the other arm still holding her tightly to me.  "I've just got to work out what it is."

Emmy nods and I know that it's in understanding.  She writes songs too so she knows that sometimes a song comes in waves.  I have some pieces of the puzzle but the rest are yet to come to me.  It's nice to know that she can relate.  I give her an extra squeeze before letting her go.  She gets up and I stand too.

"Why are you in such a happy mood?" I ask.

She laughs.  "Why?  Am I not allowed to be happy for no reason?"

"You're always happy," I reply.  "My bad."  It's true.  She's always my ray on sunshine on a cloudy day and on a nice day she can almost outshine the sun with her good spirits.

Emmy rolls her eyes.  "Actually, I'm in an extra good mood because me and Vince have come up with an idea."

I brace myself.  Ollie's out with Tandy and I'm suddenly not sure if leaving Emmy alone in a room with Vince was a good idea or not.  "Let's hear it then."

Emmy pulls me to the bed so we can sit down.  "Well, we were thinking about taking Tanya out for a meal, you know, to say thank you for everything."

I can't help widening my eyes in shock. 

Emmy notices.  "What's that look for?  What did you think I was gonna say?"

"I don't know," I admit.  "Vince is never one for ideas usually."

"Oh, well what do you think of this idea?"

"It's a hell of a lot better than seeing how many sweets we could eat in thirty seconds.  I've never had such a headache from a sugar rush in all my life."