5 - Sam

This part is dedicated to leigh_.  Go check out her story, 'Friendship for Dummies'.  I'm hooked on it :)

The door to the flat is barely shut before I bound up out of my seat and over to the newly cleaned kitchen.  I fill a glass with water and down the lot before turning back to face Ollie and Vince.  The flat is silent but I can hear my heart beating in my ears.

"Are they having a bloody laugh?"

Ollie knows better than to say anything, but when Vince opens his mouth I know he's about to get me back for making him clean.

"Having a girl in Sketch might not be that bad."

I narrow my eyes at him.  "Am I the only one against having a girl in the band?" I ask, my gaze flitting between Ollie and Vince as they continue to sit in silence.  "Guys!"

Vince smiles.  "This band could do with some more eye candy."

Ollie gives Vince a bemused look.  "Did you just refer to yourself as eye candy?"

"So you agree that I'm the hot one?"

Ollie snorts.  "Careful or your ego will get too big for this flat.  Comments like that are why I can only take you in small doses."

Even though I'm angry I can feel myself smiling at the sight of Ollie winding Vince up. 

"That's why we stuck you on drums."

Vince raises an eyebrow in confusion.

"So we can hide you at the back," Ollie finishes, watching as Vince frowns when he understands the insult.

"Ha-ha," he answers dryly.  "Then why is Sam at the front?  His ugly mug scares everyone off."  He sits up straighter and clicks his fingers like he's just had a eureka moment.  "That's why we have no fans!"

I can feel Vince looking at my brown hair and brown eyes.  Ordinary is the word to describe how I look.  If it wasn't for my ability to write songs and play the guitar, there's no way I'd stand out.

"Don't pick on him," Ollie says, his tone snapping.

Vince rolls his hazel eyes.  "Oh shut up, Ollie.  Sam's big enough to stand up for himself."

I feel drawn back into the conversation, even though Vince and Ollie are arguing about me now. 

"You want  a fight?" I say, giving Vince a cocky grin.  Last time we'd had a fight I'd given him a cut lip and he knows it.

His arrogance falters ever so slightly but he's not one to lose his dignity that easily, even if it means going for round two.  "Go on then."  He sounds confident, but his moves are sluggish as he gets up.

I wait until he's up and facing me before I wave a hand at him.  "Nah.  I'll just hurt you."

Vince laughs.  "I'll fight Ollie then."

Ollie rolls his eyes with a sigh.  He'd been reading some of the paperwork that Tanya had left behind but at the mention of his name he looks up.  "And why exactly are you fighting me?"

"You insulted my beauty," Vince replies, raising his hand to his heart in mock hurt.

"You're such a girl," Ollie says, setting the paperwork back on the coffee table and standing up. 

Ollie and Vince are the same height, around 5"7, but Vince is naturally bigger built, leaving Ollie looking lanky in comparison.

"You wanna test that theory of yours?" Vince says, shrugging off his hoody to reveal a black wife-beater underneath.  His only tattoo – which is a star on the back of his elbow – is purposely visible.