6 - Emmy

This part is dedicated to Starry_Serenade.  Her story 'Superior' is amazing.  Go check it out :)

"You know, you should probably tell Mum about this band thing." 

I smile at the fact that Tabs has only advised me to tell Mum.  In truth it's actually pointless telling Dad anything;  What Mum says goes, even if I have Dad's support.  Which is why I still have blonde hair, rather than the blue that I'd wanted a couple of months back.  I'd only suggested highlights but Mum had gone mad, telling me that she'd kick me out the minute I dye my hair.  Dad says she's proud I'm a natural blonde like her.  Tabs inherited Dad's dark locks.  If Tabs wanted blue hair, I reckon she'd get it.

"I'm going to," I reply, swivelling on my chair so I can see her.  She's lying on my bed, playing with the tie on her blouse.   It's only been twenty minutes since she fell in love with Vince, but she's back already.  Probably to tell me that this is a bad idea and I should just forget about it.  She gets her cynicism from Mum.

She sits up.  "When?"

"After tea."

Tabs raises her eyebrows.  "Really?  That's not that best idea you've had."

I frown with feigned hurt.  "My ideas are great."

Her eyebrows disappear further beneath her fringe. 

"Name one bad idea I've had."

Her eyes light up as she holds up a hand, fingers splayed like she's ready to count off of them.  "What about the time you tried to pet next door's dog, even though he told you you'd get bitten."

I look down at the two teeth mark like scars on my left palm.  "Point taken," I admit.  "But I was seven."

She tucks another finger to her palm.  "Then what about the choice to sing that song on Saturday?"

I laugh.  "What's that supposed to mean?  I happen to have a superior taste in music."

"Right," she replies, replicating Mum's tone perfectly.  She's even got the one eyebrow quirk, nailed.

I roll my eyes dramatically.  "You, Tabs, need to broaden your musical horizons.   Besides, if I hadn't sung that song, I probably wouldn't have gotten Tanya's attention."

"Unless it's a scam," she replies pointedly, flicking through the magazine on my bed.  She screws her nose up at something.

"Yes, there is that."  Tanya probably took one look at me and thought 'easy target'.  Maybe I should have dyed my hair blue anyway.

Mum calls for tea just as Tabs opens her mouth to speak but she chooses not to elaborate as I follow her downstairs to the dining room.  The smell of roast chicken makes my stomach rumble and I sit down opposite Dad with my eyes on my plate.

"Productive day?"

I peel my eyes away from the roast potatoes to look up at Dad.  His eyes are alight with his teasing and I smile.

"Totally.  I don't think I've ever watched so much TV in my life."

The unceremonious thud of Mum setting her plate on the table is enough to make my smile falter.

"She still hasn't filled out those applications, Phil," Mum says, directing a wide eyed look at Dad.

I can see the realisation dawning on his face.  Mum's expecting him to back her up, which is the standard scenario in this house.  Mum definitely wears the trousers in their relationship.

He puts down his fork and chews on his mouthful, before touching his moustache nervously.   "Is that right, Emmy?

I roll my eyes before I can stop myself.  "What if I don't want to work at the local supermarket?"