25 - Sam

The romance is here.  Kind of.  This is one of my favourite chapters so far :)

Dedicated to liaaaaaaaa.

I yawn as I stare into the barren refrigerator.  Cheese.  Butter.  I glance to the open breadbin.  No bread.  Great. 

"I'm going shopping," I call to no-one in particular.

Vince is out on a date with a girl who'll probably look the spitting image of every other girl he brings home.  Ollie's playing bass in his room, the chords travelling underneath the door and into my ears, making me smile.  I don't know, or care, where Emmy is.

I cross to my room, grabbing a hoody and slipping my phone into the back pocket of my chinos, before I head to the front door.  I stop dead when I see Emmy waiting by the door, holding my car keys like they're a trophy.

"I'm coming."

I roll my eyes.  "Do you have to?"

She nods.  "Yes.  I don't trust you to buy my food. Besides, you don't know what I like."

"Don't care either," I mumble, striding to the door to meet her, holding out my hand to take the keys from her.

She drops them into my palm and follows me out into the hallway.

"Don't you ever dress normally?" I ask as we wait for the lift to reach our floor.

She looks down at her purple ripped jeans and Converse before pulling at the fabric of her MCR t-shirt.  "This is normal."

I don't answer, walking into the lift.  She takes the space beside me and we both reach for the button pad at the same time.  Our hands brush and I tear mine backwards like I've just been shocked.

"Sorry," she mutters, jabbing the button with a smile.

The doors close and we stand in an awkward silence.  Emmy's perfume fills my nose as she twirls her hair in her fingers, her bracelets clattering against each other on her wrist.  I give her a sideways glance and my pulse leaps when I notice she's doing the same.

"You can look at me, you know.  It's not a crime."

I struggle with a comeback, fortunately being saved having to answer by the doors opening again, leading us into the foyer. 

We reach my car without another word.  Emmy quirks an eyebrow as I point the key fob at the car, making the lights flash as it unlocks. 

"Green cars are supposed to be unlucky."

I pause, my hand on the driver's door handle.  "I like green."

"So do I," Emmy replies.  "It's actually my favourite colour."

My eyes fall to her t-shirt again, which is in fact emerald, before I shake myself out of a stupor and get into the car.

Emmy lingers by the passenger's door for a second before she leans down to look at me through the window.  I roll it down and she cocks her head at me, looking at me from beneath her side fringe. 

"Can I sit next to you, or do I have to hide in the back?"

The fact that she's taking the piss out of my dislike towards her causes me to let out a laugh before I can disguise it as a cough.  "Whatever."

"Awesome!"  She grins, opening the door and sliding in beside me. 

I shift the car into reverse, backing it out of the parking space across the road from the flats and I notice how close my hand is to Emmy's leg.  My lips twitch with a smile as I pull onto the main road. Before I've even steered the car onto the next street, Emmy's playing with the car radio.  Static fills the car as she flicks between various stations; pop, rock, classical.  She laughs at the sound of a man warbling before she gives up, pressing the button for the CD function instead.