7 - Sam

This part is dedicated to WingCommander.  Her story '101 ways to avoid an awkward situation' is brilliant.  Go check it out :)

I've counted everything in this stupid room.  One recycling box.  One fake miniature tree in a terracotta pot.  One big circle table.  Three empty glasses.  Five platinum selling records on the wall – none of them belonging to Sketch.  Three coffee stains on the cream carpet by my leather chair.

I fidget and the sound of my seat creaking seems to distract Ollie from his intent listening.  He offers me a raised eyebrow and I shrug before going back to counting the three huge windows.  I can't stare out at London, the blinds being drawn, so I just stare at the red walls instead.

"Sam?"

I crack my knuckles and move my eyes to Tanya with a sigh.

She looks hopeful.  "We're just about to end this meeting.  Is there anything you'd like to add?"

I shrug.  "Not really."  It's not like you're going to listen to anything I have to say anyway.

"Okay then," Tanya says, a smile on her face.  Her mahogany hair, which is cut to her neck, swishes as she gets up to tuck her chair in.  The two men either side of her get up as well.  Ollie and Vince look to me but I stay seated.  I can feel a sulky expression on my face and I don't make any attempt to hide it.

"Why don't you go on outside," Tanya suggests, turning to Ollie and Vince.  They both get up at her words, Ollie sending me a lingering look before he lets the door swing shut behind him.

When it's only Tanya and I in the room, she sits back down opposite me. 

The table feels too big for the room all of a sudden and I don't like the feeling of being closed in.  I fidget again and look to the door.

"Sam."

I peel my eyes away from the only exit.  "Yes?"

"You know you can tell me what's bothering you, don't you?"

I unfold my arms from across my chest to run a finger along the rim of my empty water glass.  My throat feels immediately dry.

"I'm your manager, Sam.  I'll always listen to you."

I can't help snorting under my breath.  "You didn't listen at the flat the other day."  True, I'd only mumbled about hating the idea of adding a girl to the band, but my stark disinterest to pay attention to today's meeting is my way of showing that I'm completely against everything.

Tanya shuffles the papers on the desk.  "I have noticed, you know."

I raise an eyebrow.  "Then why aren't you listening?"  I'll always listen to you, my ass.

"Because this is serious, Sam. This isn't a decision whether to drink diet or not.  This is a life-changing factor.  If you don't do something soon, there won't be a band full-stop.  One with a record contract, anyway."

"Fine by me," I retort, though it really isn't. Not one bit.  Sketch is my life.  I don't want it taken from me.

"Don't lie, Sam."  She sighs.  "It isn't just you this affects.  If you get out of a job then so do I."

I sit up.  "No you won't.  You'll just get assigned to another band on the label."

Tanya shakes her head sadly, her cherry red lips drooping at the corners.  "No, Sam.  I've spent so much time and effort trying to get Sketch noticed, all to no avail.  I doubt Mr Walters will think twice about firing me."

My sulky resolve cracks a bit then.  I don't want Tanya to suffer too.  She's been nothing but good to us over the last year and a half.  Granted, it took a year for Walter's to finally agree to sign us, but she'd pulled through.  It's unfair that we've only been given six months to turn from unknown to superstars.  In another six months we could be back to square one.  I like Tanya, even if she has got a psycho daughter. 

"There has to be another way."

"We've thought of everything, Sam.  Adding a girl seems like the only real way to get you noticed."

"What about a new sound?"  It pains me to say it, but I manage to hold back the grimace that wants to accompany my words.

"I know you don't mean that."  She smiles quickly.  "You forget how much I know you.  Your passion is heart-warming.  I really admire it."

My gut stirs at her words but I won't let my mind be swayed. I chew my lip.  "It's just happening so fast.  You only spotted this girl a few days ago."

"We've got six months, Sam.  We can't afford to waste time."

I narrow my eyes. "And how do you know that she'll be the right girl?"

Tanya smiles and the confidence there knocks me for six.  "Because," she says simply, leaning into the table, her brown eyes widening.  "She reminds me of you."