Twenty-Three

I watched Stevie walk into the shop aggressively, not paying attention to Ray and I one but

Ray and I decided to stay back while the rest of the crew went to skate.

The sound of Stevie throwing his skateboard on the floor echoed throughout the store.

"I'm gonna go talk to him..." I told Ray before getting up off the couch.

I opened the sticker covered door slowly to see Stevie sitting next to the wall.

"Hey," I started, gaining his attention.

"You alright?" I asked.

Stevie nodded his head quietly, showing the bruise on his eye still.

"You don't look alright..." I told Stevie honestly.

Slowly, I walked over to Stevie and sat down against the wall next to him.

"Your mom is uh... Very serious," I started, trying to find the correct words.

"I just- I just can't take this shit sometimes..." Stevie said.

"What kind of shit?" I asked him.

"Just shit." Stevie shrugged.

"A lot of the time... You may feel like our lives are the worst but... I think if you look in anyone else closet you wouldn't trade your shit for their shit." I explained while looking at the younger boy.

Stevie looked up at me, trying to understand what I was saying.

"They may think I don't notice this... But I do..." I started.

"Like look at Fourth grade, he is... One of the poorest people I know." I said.

Stevie looked away from me, cracking a smile.

"Seriously... He can barley afford socks." I explained sadly, feeling bad for one of my friends.

"Ruben's mom..." I said hesitantly with a sigh.

"She gets all fucked up and beats on him and his sister... Why you think he don't ever wanna go home?" I questioned him.

"Fuck shit is probably one of the people I'm closest to besides Ray and Ruben. Ray told me about them having sleep overs and dream about skating and where they wanna take it." I told Stevie.

"He's not the same guy Ray used to talk about... Fuck shit is losing it to be honest... Nowadays he's just trying to figure out where the parties are, where to get fucked up, drunk."

"He ain't the same," I sighed.

"A few weeks ago... You know when I wasn't around that much?" I asked him.

Stevie nodded.

"That was because of my mom... She's not even my mom anymore..." I explained.

"One night she just decided to invite hella people over... And get fucked up drunk... I tried to leave... But she locked me inside my own room... Windows and everything."

Stevie looked at me with his small wide eyes in shock.

"She called me names... Tried to fight me... Hit me... Throw things at me... Then when my dad got home it was just chaos... They argued and argued for hours."

I looked at the ground and sighed, giving out a shaky breath of air.

"After that night I was probably scared for life, but the next day Ray and Fuck shit came knocking on my door like crazy. And you know what they made me do?" I asked.

"W-What?" Stevie asked.

"They dragged me out the house and made me go skate, and that's what we're going to do right now." I said, standing up and walking in front of him.

"Lets go," I said before walking into the store.

Stevie followed me quietly as we walked back into store. Ray sat on the couch, fixing his board.

"We're gonna go skate, tryna come?" I asked Ray.

"Hell yeah," Ray smiled before standing up.

Ray messed up Stevie's hair, making the smaller boy laugh. The three of us skated out of the store, eventually ending up on a street where I first skated with the crew.

The sunset was beautiful and peaceful, I wanted it to be like this forever. Just my friends and I having fun and living life, nobody getting hurt mentally or physically.

The three of us ended up at the empty court house. I sat on a bench, smiling at Ray and Stevie laughing.

Today wasn't perfect, but it wasn't terrible either.

••
Word count: 690💞
A/n: ahhh, this chapter was beautiful in so many ways, definitely one of my favorites lol. Leave your thoughts and comments about the chapter down below !
~Amanee✨