Nineteen

"Hey Scout," Ray greeted me as I entered the store

"Sup Ray," I smiled as I walked over to him at the counter.

"So what's the move for today?" I asked him, leaning on the counter.

"Dont know," Ray started before putting a new board on the shelf.

"Fuck shit is talking about going to some party though, you comimg with us?" Ray asked me with a smile.

"Who's party is it?" I asked him.

"Dont know," Ray answered with a shrug.

"Then I don't know if I'm going to go," I answered before turning around with my back facing him.

"Come on Scout, it'll be your first party with us," Ray said with his hands on my shoulders.

"Finneee," I groaned while turning around.

"Yes!" Ray cheered with a smile.

As Ray continued to cheer Ruben walked into the shop with a bitch resting face.

"Hey Ruben..." Ray greeted him quietly.

"Hey." Ruben said quietly.

Without saying anything he walked to the back to go outside and slammed the door behind him.

"Scout," Ray said, gaining my attention.

"I know what you're going to say Ray..." I said, looking at him.

A smile crept up on his face as he leaned against the counter.

"What am I going to say?" He asked.

"Go talk to him," I answered.

"Your name is Scout for a reason," Ray told me with a smile.

I picked up my board, looking back at Ray as I walked to the sticker covered door. He shot me a sympathetic smile before I opened the door, going outside.

I spotted Ruben skating passed me, wind going through my hair.

Ruben stopped, breathing heavily and looking up at me.

"What do you want Scout?" Ruben asked me in a low voice.

"I wanna know what's wrong... I want to help..." I started, walking towards him.

"I'm fine." Ruben said, looking down at his board.

"My name isnt Scout for anything," I smiled sadly.

I walked behind him and put my hand on his shoulder.

"Can we talk?" I started.

Ruben stayed quiet, not moving a inch at all.

"Please?" I begged.

Ruben was one of the only people I had in my life. I couldn't lose him now.

I snapped out of my thought as Ruben turned around and looked at me.

"Sure," He mumbled, grabbing his board and walking over to the wall.

We sat down next to each other quietly, in a awkward silence. As I stared at Ruben I noticed a purple bruise on cheek.

"What happened?" I asked him in a soft tone.

Ruben flinched as I ran my thumb across his cheek.

"I-I can't tell you Scout... I would but I can't..." Ruben said, looking away from me.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because you'll probably think ima bitch." Ruben said bluntly.

"Hey..." I started, moving closer to him.

"I would never think of you that way," I told him.

I knew if I joked about him being a bitch this conversation wouldn't end well.

"M-My mom..." He started with a soft shaky voice.

I looked at him, staying silent to give him time to explain.

"She tries to hit my sister... S-So I defend her, saying it's my fault so she won't get hurt..." Ruben explained.

I looked at him in shock, not knowing what to say at all. Nobody deserves to be abused and especially didn't.... Not the one I liked the most.

"I-I don't know why she does it... I don't know why she hates my sister and I..." Ruben started to choke out.

"M-Mothers arent supposed to hit their children right?" Ruben said quickly.

"Ruben..." I said quietly, moving closer to him and hugging him.

"I just want to know why... Why does she fucking do it!?" Ruben screamed out.

As tears started to run down his face I pulled his head into my shoulder quieting him down.

"Ruben you don't deserve this at all okay? This isnt your fault at all," I told him while still hugging him.

"I just wanna be normal and happy," He cried out, wiping his tears.

"You cant always have everything you want... But you can work for it." I told him with his hands in mine.

"I'll help you through this okay?" I said to him into his eyes.

Ruben nodded, hugging me. His hugs were always the best, they made my day.

"I like you Scout," he said with a mumble.

I smiled and giggled.

"Its pretty obvious," I laughed.

Ruben smiled sadly and laughed also.

"I like you too," I agreed.

We both stared at each other quietly with tear stains on our cheeks and tear drops on our shirts.

Slowly and silently we moved closer together, leaning in. His lips met with mine as we kissed softly.

I know this sounds corny... But holy shit. I just felt fireworks.

••
Word count: 814💞
A/N: yessss, ive been waiting to post this chapter for foreverrrrrr. My single self is jealous of Ruben and Scout's relationship lol. Leave your thoughts and comments about the chapter down below !
~Amanee ✨