Fourteen

The next morning I had woke up to some talking, almost screaming from downstairs

"You're always gone!" I heard a voice whisper yell.

"Because you don't wanna get a fucking job!"

"I'm doing hair for people, gaining money!"

"More like going out at night to fucking cheat on me!"

I had gotten out of my bed slowly, putting on my hoodie. Quietly, I walked to the stairs, hiding behind the small wall.

I watched my mother and father yell at each other, no longer caring that I was 'sleeping'. I never realized how angry they looked when they were around each other.

What happened?

My eyes continued to watch them scream out hateful things to each other. I looked down at my feet and sighed, giving up and going to my room. As I stuck my hand into my hoodie pocket I felt a piece of paper.

A number was on it.

'Here's my number just in case; xxx-xxx-xxxx~Ruben'

I stared at it wondering when I would ever call him.

"Fuck you!"

"No fuck you!" The voices echoed through the house.

I needed it now.

Quickly, I dialed down Ruben's number on the phone I had besides my bed. The phone was lifted up to my ear as it rung.

"Hello?" A voice asked.

Shit, I probably woke him up.

"H-Hey.. It's Lena.." I answered, hoping he wouldn't hang up.

"Scout?" I could hear him sit up, and clearing his throat.

"I.. I was wondering if you wanted to meet up right now?"

"Well, me and the boys are about to head to Ben's, you can meet us there if you'd like," Ruben offered.

"Yeah, I'll meet you there," I told him, accepting his offer.

"Actually... I was wondering if I can come meet you at your house, then we can walk together..." Ruben suggested, making a smile creep up on my face.