Black Equation - Chapter 11 (Part 1)*

Chapter Eleven

The reporter's announcement sent all kinds of reaction to the students. Disbelief and excitement became the common elements among them. It was something they didn't expect. An international star in their school? It was unbelievable. Everyone had engaged themselves into noisy arguments and hushed chuckles.

"Wow! Could you believe that? Faye Summers is here!" Cathy's enthusiasm was overflowing. She didn't notice how stiff her companion had become, how the color had left her face and how her hands became ice cold.

"Calm down," Jared whispered to his best friend in an almost inaudible voice, his hands on her shoulders. He, on the other hand, was all cool and collected. "I'm going to call over the teachers. Stay where you are, understand?"

His words somehow helped her frozen body thaw, although her eyes remained restless. She closed her eyes to compose her thoughts, but addressed Jared before he left. "Hurry Jared. I'm afraid. I need you."

"Of course, baby."

Merely nodding, Faye spun her head around, faking a smile as she tried to pull her act together. She giggled half-heartedly to imitate Cathy and Jess. She noticed Amelia Hale press a button on her recorder, starting to interview the two girls in front of them. She eyed her tall companion in black shades, and knew that he was no ordinary man. She knew that those glasses were in fact small cameras.

It had started.

"Can you confirm this account?" asked Amelia in loud voice, trying to subdue the noise around them. The two girls shook their heads. "It was said that it was around noon when she was seen walking in this campus."

"Then it would be impossible," Patricia said, distinct enough for Amelia to hear, "since everyone would still be inside our rooms."

"Is that so?" Amelia turned to her. Faye held her breath as the reporter's eyes swept pass her. "Is there no one who could prove the witness' statement?"

Oh, Pat! Why did you get her attention? she thought in panic. Please don't come here.

Unfortunately, Amelia was already approaching their group. She wanted to hide behind Cathy, but that would make her suspicious. She decided to just act unconcerned.

"Let's see." Pat mused, clearly enjoying the spotlight. "Maybe you should ask the juniors. They were the ones who usually loiter around the grounds around noon... When did the sighting happen?"

"Yesterday and the day before."

"Then you should ask Selena!" Cathy said with an air of confidence. "She arrived here around noon the day before yesterday, didn't she?"

Faye gave Cathy a dark look, which the latter missed. Now, she felt all eyes on her. Amelia faced her. Faye's throat became dry, making her unable to let out even a single word. This was the worst case scenario. It was all caused by her carelessness that day. It would only take a matter of minutes before her secret was exposed. Her 'normal' life was over, just like that.

Finished...

"Over here, Sister Coronel!"

Jared came just in time. He brought the principal with him, along with three burly security guards. Before the authorities approached, the press people took cover. They immediately ran back to their vehicle, leaving as instantaneous as they came.

"My, my! Children!" Sister Coronel's face was as red as an apple. Her nose was flaring in anger. "You never learn, do you? How many times have I told you not to talk to those people? They are banned here! Banned, I tell you!"

Everyone received proper scolding, even the guards who weren't keen on doing their work. As punishment, the students who entertained Amelia's prodding were tasked to do community service, while the security guards received a cut on their wages.

At the back of the crowd, Faye and Jared were talking in soft whispers. Jared wiped away the moisture off her eyes with his fingers.

"Thank you so much," she smiled, her voice trembling. "I'm –"

"You've said that for the thousandth time. Once is more than enough," he chuckled. "Now, let's head home, okay?"

"Yup."

They walked towards the parking lot and climbed over the black motorcycle. They thought her identity was safe. They were oblivious of the fact that someone overheard them, someone just beyond the shadows.