+ Friends +

"You know that stunt you pulled earlier....it really had me worried." Calum told her as he sat by their usual spot on the rocks with her looking up at him, resting her head on her hands as her tail splashed gently in and out of the water.

She just smiled, shrugging her shoulders innocently. The sun had faded and night was falling, Ashton and Michael had drove into town to get a takeout for the night for everyone, whilst Luke and Kendall spent some quality time in the cabin.

"Are there others? Like you?" He asked her, curious if this lake was some sort of retreat for mermaids.

She shrugged again, not entirely sure of the answer herself.

"You don't know? But- i mean, is't there others out there, you know like your parents or something?" She shook her head 'no' though her eyes looked hopeful.

"So you're alone out there." It came out more like a whisper, but she had heard and nodded slightly before shaking her head no again and pointing at him as a smile grew on her face.

"Me?" He rose an eyebrow, pointing a finger at himself.

Her smile grew wider and she nodded yet again.

You see, the way she saw it now was that she was not alone, no longer needing to spend her days underwater or endlessly swimming hoping to someday find another like herself, because she had already found someone...

And it was Calum.

He understood what she meant and returned the smile. "Yeah, you have me." He told her, laughing lightly.

She reached for his hand and he let her take it, fiddling with his fingers before slowly intertwining them again, smiling at the feeling it sparked throughout her.

A mischievous grin found its way upon her face and he wondered what she was thinking.

"What?" He asked, but she gave no answer. Instead she began pulling him towards her, closer to the water.

"No, no i can't." He told her, shaking his head as a small smile stayed plastered on his face.

She nodded, continuing to pull him towards the water as she moved back, using her strength to help her.

"No, i can't. If someone sees us-" but she refused to listen.

So he gave in, taking his phone out of his pocket and placing it on the rocks along with his vans and socks. He did not have enough time to remove his shirt or anything else for that matter, because she had lost patience and pulled him in the rest of the way.

His body rose to the surface, inhaling air as she released a laugh, placing her arms on his shoulders as she moved closer to him.

"You're really something you know that." He said, shaking his head at her, placing his hands on her waist, retracting them when he felt her scales, feeling how slimy and slippery they were.

Again it frightened him and she noticed, looking down at her body self-consciously.

"Sorry. It's just...i've never...felt...something like that." He explained and nodded, weakly smiling at him, biting down on her lip.

He struggled to stay afloat as well as she did, it was as if she was standing, hardly moving at all, whereas Calum occasionally bobbed up and down, moving his hands around in circles to keep his head above the water.

She turned her head to the side, curious as to why he was struggling. Her eyebrows furrowed as he looked around them, cautious incase any of his friends would show up.

"We don't have much time, the guys will be back soon and i-"

He went straight under, feeling something pull hard on his leg. He had no time to catch a breath, panicking since being caught of guard. He made out her silhouette beneath him, watching as she held his foot tightly in her hand, examining his toes for she had never seen such peculiar looking things.

He shook his leg, signalling for her to release him so he could swim back up for air. He needed to do so quite a few more times, feeling as though he would drown again before she finally released him and he swam to the surface gasping for air and coughing out the bits of water that made its way into his mouth.

A few seconds later she emerged, furrowing her eyebrows at him, unsure exactly of what she had done.

"Are you crazy?" He panted, raising his voice. "What the hell was that?"

"God. Don't do that." He scolded her, as she looked at him fearfully, moving away.

He swam back to land, pulling himself up and laying flat on his back, catching his breath as his eyes looked up at the moon, noticing it was almost completely full.

When he sat up, she was staring at him, looking like a little girl that had just been told off. He felt guilty for yelling, but knew it was necessary.

She reached up and placed something beside him on the ground, retracting her hand and looking up at him, waiting for him to acknowledge it.

His eyes fell to the object and he reached over to pick it up.

It was an old rusted key.

It looked at least thirty maybe forty years old and he wandered why she had given it to him.

"A key?" She nodded slowly, waiting for him to accept it.

It was her way of saying sorry, but it took him a while to understand that.

"Uh....."

She averted her gaze, slightly afraid of his outburst yet still she decided to stay, waiting for him to accept it.

"I don't...i don't understand." He shrugged.

She couldn't find another way to apologise to him, unsure of what else she was supposed to do. Biting down on her lip she thought about it for a few moments, but still, she had nothing.

So she just smiled at him again, weakly of course before turning and diving back under the water.

"Hey, wait." But she had already gone.

~~~~~~

Hours later, he still found himself wondering why she had given it to him. He knew it was junk, but still wondered if it held a purpose.

"What's that?" Kendall asked, perching down beside him on his bed, throwing chips into her mouth.

"Um.. an old key that i found by the lake." He lied.

"Cool. I mean i bet that's worth something. Fancy handing over, you know...as a gift to your best friends girlfriend?" She wiggled her eyebrows as Luke almost spat out his drink from the other side of the room.

"Girlfriend?" His cheeks began to turn pink and Kendall simply nodded at him before turning back to Calum.

"A gift? Hmm... Like an apology gift or something?" He said,

"Why what are you sorry for?" She asked him, but he ignored her.

*

*

*

Too busy smiling at the thought.

~~~~~~

OKAY I LIKE DIS HEUHEUHEU

MORE TO COME, THE MOON IS ALMOST FULL OOH LALA

THANKS FOR READING AGAIN ILY

@Xcuddlyclifford ILYSFM BABYFACE XD

-S