Black Equation - Chapter 10*

Chapter Ten

Faye and Jared went back to their class without speaking a single word to each other. They simply walked together in a pace one would use when strolling in a park, although the bell for the next class had rang minutes ago. Jared wanted to start a conversation, but found the situation and subject awkward. Faye, on the other hand, was preoccupied with thoughts that didn't seem connected at all. She had a lot to ponder later when she reached home. School, work, personal life and the mess with Hanade. She needed to sort things out, once and for all.

Fortunately, their teacher hadn't arrived yet. The goddess of luck had sided with her once again.

"Lucky!" Faye chuckled as she went for her seat. She looked at Jared as he sat beside her and beamed. "Thanks for fetching me."

"You owe me one," he replied with a faked enthusiasm. He was confused with her unusually subdued demeanor. She wasn't like this. Under normal circumstances, she was very talkative and loud. She rarely kept her mouth shut, unless she was contemplating or brooding over something. She was only like this when the situation was work-related, like in an interview or in a photo shoot. But those were all in the past now, so what's bothering her? He could only guess...

As soon as their teacher entered the room, Faye sighed, deciding to momentarily concentrate on the school stuffs. Minutes later, Hanade came back, carrying a tardy slip with him. He passed by her on his way to his seat. She didn't even glance at him, but rather continued with taking notes.

*****

"Selena! Jared! Are you free this Saturday?" Patricia asked when the teacher left. Her chinky brown eyes shone in excitement.

"I guess so. Why?" Faye adjusted her glasses, shooting Jared a sideway glimpse.

"Didn't I tell you before?" Daniel marched towards them with a smug smile. "We're having a party! We got three transferees in our batch. That's unheard of."

"Geez," Jared scoffed, rolling his pale blue eyes, "You're just finding an excuse to leave the dormitory."

"We all are," said Patricia and Cathy in unison. The other guys went behind them and patted their backs, sputtering something about foods and the venue. The talk of finally being able to leave their campus excited everyone.

Faye checked her phone, inspecting her schedule for the weekend. She felt kind of lost. She was surprised that she wasn't even aware of the date today. Doing a quick mental math, she realized that it has been nearly two months since she left Los Angeles. Not only that. She discovered that her best friend's birthday was only a mere week away. He's turning eighteen.

What kind of friend am I? she thought, How can I forget such a thing?

She stared at Jared, musing over the fact that she held the responsibility to prepare the celebration itself, as gratitude for everything he did for her.

Of course, their whole class was invited, aside from one guy.

She grimaced at the thought of having him there. A murderer in a party? That's absurd.

She wondered whether to invite Jared’s family or not, which seemed both risky and necessary at the same time. She last contacted his father when she was in her European tour. She wondered whether Jared was letting his family keep tabs on them. Not that she minded. His family was trustworthy.

"What are you thinking about?" Jared inquired in a soft voice. "Your face looks serious."

"Nothing important," she smiled sweetly, causing Jared's heart to kick into fourth gear. She then joined their classmates with the planning for the welcome party. Faye seemed oblivious with the effect of her smile to him. To calm himself, he left the room with the lame excuse of forgetting something in his locker. After making sure that Jared was nowhere in sight, Faye immediately called Patricia's and Cathy's attention.

"Could you guys help me for a bit?"

"Why?" Cathy asked while eating a bar of German dark chocolate. "What's up?"

"It's Jared's birthday in the nineteenth. I want to surprise him with a party."

"Really?" Cathy's face brightened at the piece of news. "So what are you planning?"

Faye looked troubled for a moment. "A party at our place, maybe. I'm thinking of cooking his favorites. He loves his food."

"Sounds great! I'll provide the beers!" Daniel interrupted. "Or do you prefer wine?"

"I can help. I'm kind of good with the kitchen," volunteered the gentle Gherylle. That made Faye smile wider.

"Thanks! Actually, I'm having problems with what to provide. Aside from the usual stuffs, I wanted to cook or bake something special. That bastard loves dairy products, and there's a lot to choose from."

"Just give him milk," joked Cathy.

"In a baby bottle?" laughed Faye, although she was taking it seriously, "It’s crazy I tell you. He’ll eat anything with yogurt, kefir, paneer, queso fresco, butter, mascapone, montasio, parmesan, haloumi, manchego, bondon, emmental chenna, ricotta and quark --"

"Whoa! Stop there!" Cathy hushed her with wild blue eyes. "I'm not quite following you."

"Oops, sorry.” She blushed. “I got carried away."

"That Jared must be blissful by now! His girl's all worried about his birthday," Daniel was cut when Faye elbowed him hard on the ribs.

"Hey! Lower your voice. it's suppose to be a surprise, you bastard," Faye hissed upon noticing Jared nearing the door. Behind him was their next teacher, an old German woman with a name Faye couldn't remember. The class immediately settled down.

*****

The day ended in a flash. As they left the building and headed for the parking lot, a minivan screeched to a stop in front of the students. A tall lanky man in white sweatshirt and a small brunette woman with big amber eyes came out from the back. Both of them were wearing an ID that says, PRESS. Faye and Jared immediately recognized the woman. She was the TV reporter Amelia Hale.

"What is she doing here?!" Faye whispered in a panicking voice. She was pulling Jared away. "This is bad! Come on. Let's hurry and leave!"

He quickly nodded. They were about to escape when Cathy pulled Faye's arm.

"Look! It's Amelia Hale! Oh god, oh god. This is such an opportunity. I wonder why they're here." Cathy was excited, and was unconsciously tugging Faye with her. With Cathy linked to her, she couldn't escape now. Jared simply sighed, and murmured something to her.

"Don't worry. They couldn't be here for you," he reassured. Faye nodded weakly, trying to compose herself. She knew deep within no one will recognize her with her disguise.

Both of them turned their attention to the approaching pair. Amelia cleared her throat and spoke in a clear and loud voice, "We received news that Faye Summers was seen in the vicinity. We're here to confirm it."