Happy Birthday, Norman! - Seventeenth Chapter

/| Special Chapter, for all Norman's Devotees |\

/| Day Eighty-Second, Tuesday, First Year - September 5 |\

/| Mansion |\

I was walking into that storm, trying to keep some warmness by clutching on my thin jacket, but the protection was minor.

Raindrops soaked me to the bones, the wind huffed with strength, raising the dead leaves and sticks from the ground, and some loud thunder roared while the lighting lightened the sky during some few seconds.

Trembling, I squinted my eyes, trying to perceive into that storm, and saw, far away, some light and a shadow outlined in the night.

"Is it.. a building?" I muttered to myself, my voice filled with relief.

With faith, I walked with ardour, urged to be safe and sound, in a warm and cosy place.

I was thinking of all kind of greeting I could have from the owners; if they'll be friendly and welcoming, and imagining what the inside was looking like.

I was barely even feeling the sharp wind and the cold raindrops, imagining myself sitting next to a fireplace, warming my freezing self, reassured by the golden flames of the fire, smoothly dancing in the hearth.

Helped by the dim glow made by the floor lamps, my eyes could distinguish the shape of the building, becoming defined.

It was a mansion, I guessed at its impressive size and the grand windows in the wooden walls, warm, welcoming lights glowing from these.

Quicker than expected, I arrived at the doorstep, that was attainable by ascending stairs. I hesitantly knocked on the door, dropping three slow knocks on the large wooden door.

I waited five long minutes on the doorstep, waiting for someone to answer to my timid knocks, but no one came to my rescue.

Tired of being out in that temperature, that was getting worse and worse, the wind and the rain quickly becoming violent and chaotic, and starting to worry about my health, I decided to enter whatsoever.

I slammed the door open, that was unlocked for an unknown reason, and closed it, to finally feel the comfort of the warmth. No more violent blast of wind, no more freezing raindrops running down to my neck, making shiver my soul.

No, now, it was a quiet, peaceful ambience in a grand mansion. After being fully warmed up, I finally looked around, paying attention to my new surrounding.

I was in a large, elegant hall, surpassing all my expectations.

A crimson carpet adorned with fancy designs, upholstered the plank floor, crossing the luxurious hall, leading to a somewhat dark corridor. On my left was a gorgeous dresser, a mirror overhanging the piece of furniture. The room was enlightened by some oil lamps, and, on my right, some stairs led to the second floor.

I whispered, silently as if I didn't want to bother the serenity of the place, "Wow..."

I slid my hand on the graceful stairs' ramp to wipe any little particle of dust I could find, but there wasn't any.