Chapter 31

176K reads, 11K votes and 2.3K comments.

Every single time I check this book im blown away by the support so thank you so much x

There's no excuse for the delay in the update but i might tell you why it took me so long at the end of this chapter x 

I love you guys x 

Chapter 31 

"I don't know if I can breathe."

Currently, Trent and I are driving in his car. Where we're heading, I haven't the foggiest but all I know is that I've never felt more euphoric in my life.

Or breathless.

"Just take deep, slow breaths," Trent urges, his hand reaching out and holding onto my thigh which does nothing but rocket my heartbeat up to about one hundred miles per second.

"That is not helping," I gasp, pushing it off my leg as tingles erupt all over me and Trent lets out a chuckle as he puts his hand back on the steering wheel, his grin almost blinding, "It's not funny!"

"It actually kind of is, you almost punched him," Trent replies, and I look up at him to see if he's making fun of me, I was kind of embarrassed that I hadn't managed to, but instead of an arrogant expression, his face had nothing but pure glee glittering across it, his eyes crinkled at the sides in laughter, "I think you've made my year."

I pause, listening to what he's said and the smile flickers onto my lips without me realising as my breathing begins to slow down and my chest starts to shake.

Trent faces me briefly and as soon as he lets out another guffaw of laughter I can't contain my own anymore and I let it out, my stomach beginning to hurt from it.

"I can't believe you actually punched Matt," I half scream, clutching onto my body as I bend forward, my cheeks turning tender, "His face!"

The sound of our laughter echoes through the car as we continue to drive and at some point, Trent pulls over and switches the engine off, at first I think it's because he can't stop laughing, but when I look up and see what's in front of us I realise that we've actually reached our destination.

"Eastern Valley Woods," I comment, a strange kind of peace washing over me as I look out at the lake that I'd been to before, "Where we went to that party."

Where we almost...

I glance at Trent and catch an easy smirk on his face right before he turns away and looks out the window, coughing quietly to cover a chuckle.

Well, this is awkward.

I clear my own throat and look out the window, watching the wind breathing through the trees and I feel my own lungs fill with fresh air, a relief settling over me.

"Thank you," I whisper, making him turn quickly back to me, confusion over his features.

"For what?" 

I sigh, shrugging my shoulders as I look up at the roof.

"Jeez, I don't know, for pretty much anything you do at this point?" I laugh but Trent just frowns a little and turns back in his seat again, his finger playing with the material of the steering wheel.

"I just mean, thank you for supporting me, and for looking out for me. If I was just thanking you for things today then it would be for helping me in the hallway, for walking me to class, for carrying my books..." I trail off, glancing down at my fingers as they twist together.