Chapter XXXVII

"Whether I win or lose, it's up to me." ~Akise Aru (Future Diary)
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
We descended down the castle and spotted Kairi standing near a glass staircase leading down somewhere. Ahead of us, a swarm of Shadow Heartless were making their way towards us. "There's gonna be no end to this," Riku groaned.

"Together we stop take 'em!" Sora assured. Riku smiled a little at Sora's positivity.

A wave of green fire appeared and we took a step back. Maleficent and  Pete appeared. "Be gone from here!" Maleficent ordered. "Leave these  creatures to us!"

"But there's no way we can take 'em all!" Pete cried.

"I will be sending them after Xemnas," Maleficent continued. "Or, perhaps, you would rather right them yourself?"

Pete gave what Maleficent said some thought. "Frankly my dear, I'd rather...RUN!" He yelled.

"Off with you then," Maleficent rolled her eyes as she stared at the oncoming swarm of Shadows. Pete backed away from her slowly, unsure if he really should or not.

He spotted the King and turned towards him. "Well, if it ain't the boat-boy King," he sneered.

"Time to weigh anchor, Captain Pete!" King Mickey retorted.

"What, like 'abandon ship'?" Pete scoffed. "I don't think so!"

"Sora! Sakura! 'Your Majesty'!" Maleficent said to us. "Do not forget-when I've destroyed them all, this castle shall be mine!"

"Now lookie here," Pete continued. "Opportunities like this don't come along every day, ya know." Pete returned to Maleficent's side as they prepared for battle. "Bring 'em on!" Pete shouted as they ran ahead.

'We gotta hurry!" King Mickey stated.

"But..." Sora started.

"They're doing what their hearts command," King Mickey said. "We can't interfere."

We returned and walked back up the stairs we came from. Taking another route to find Xemnas, we walked up some steps to find Xemnas  gazing up at Kingdom Hearts.  "Ohhh....my Kingdom Hearts...ruined," Xemnas groaned. "Now I'll have to  start all over again. Warriors of the Keyblade!" Xemnas turned around to  face us. He clapped his hands over his chest, as if he was trying to be  poetic. "Go forth, and bring me more hearts!"

"No!" Sora, Riku, King Mickey, and I shouted as we summoned our Keyblades and pointed it at Xemnas.

"Denizens of light, answer this: why do you hate the darkness?" Xemnas challenged.

"Aw, we don't hate it," King Mickey replied. "It's just  kinda...scary. But the world's made of light AND darkness. You can't  have one without the other, 'cause darkness is half of everything. Sorta  makes ya wonder why we are scared of the dark."

"It's because of who's lurking inside it," Riku added.

"Then allow me another question,"  Xemnas stated. "You accept the darkness, yet choose to live in the light. So why is it that you loathe us who teeter on the edge of nothing? We who were turned away by both light and dark-never given a choice?"

"That's simple," Riku said. "It's because you mess up our worlds."

"That may be..." Xemnas started. "However, what other choice we might we have had?"

"Just give it a rest!" Sora yelled. "You're Nobodies! You don't even exist! You're not sad about anything!"

"Very good," Xemnas chuckled. "You don't miss a thing.I can not feel sorrow...no matter what misery befalls the worlds. No matter what you think, what you feel, or how you exist."