Votes: America and Reader

It was that time again. That time of year where there were arguments after arguments and riots after riots that followed after the elections. America's eyes were glued to the flashing screen, unable to move from his comfy spot on the couch.

"America?"

He turned his head slightly to the right, eyes still glued to the screen. "What are you -- oh, oh. I totally forgot it was that time. You have new presidents every four years, right?" America blinked, tearing his gaze from the TV and looking (C/n) in the eyes. (C/n) was America's best friend, one whom he met while under the sovereignty of England. Since then, the two nations have been partners in crime, never acting in battle without the other. It was a bond the two nations would never sever.

"Yeah, but sometimes the president runs a second time." (C/n) took a seat next to America on the leather couch, kicking her feet on the coffee table. "They're lively, huh?" (C/n) said, casting America a smile. America let out a laugh, "Sure are." America raised the volume of the TV.

"Our nation is now split between sides: Democrats and Republicans. Tom, what's your take on the situation?" The female reporter questioned. The scene changed to the reporter station, showing a blond man sitting at a desk. "Well, I think this all would be an easier fix if we asked Mr. America himself, Jennie. So, Mr. America? If you are watching right now, we would like to know which side you take--"

America forcefully changed the channel with a grunt.

"The Republicans are surely losing, just look at the votes! It is quite self-evident that that stupid harasser Donald Trump does not have the votes, what do you say Jerry? Mr. America is not so stupid to vote for--"

America rolled with eyes, switching the channel once again. He flipped through, only to stop at another news channel.

"The Democrats are definitely not going to win this. What makes those left-wingers so sure Mr. America will vote for that stuck-up Clinton?"

America turned off the TV, slapping his hands down on his knees. "Oh my God, why can't those reporters just leave me out of that? I don't have a fricking clue!" (C/n) sent her bestie a reassuring smile. She, too, was annoyed with all the politics, for the entire situation irked her. It was so conteoversal that even she didn't know whom to vote for. America was giving in to all the pressure. Sure, he loved how lively they were, but he needed a break! All he heard about these days was Trump, Hillary, Trump, Hillary! Hearing that all day can make some people go crazy, y'know?

"How about we go for a walk around the city?" (C/n) sugguested. America's tense expression immediately dissolved at this. "That's a good idea! I know some really great places we could go to, Dudette!" America abruptly stood, throwing on his usal bomber jacket and snatching (C/n) off the couch in one swift move. He helped her put on her jacket, nearky flying out of the house once they were set.

"Dudette, there's this McDonald's just down here that's really good. The people who work there also give me a lot of free coupons!" The two grinned in the moonlight, feeling the breeze pass by. Sure, it wasn't too cold since it was only November, but it hey, the two were hanging out in New England, and New England weather was unpredictable. It could be in the 60's one day and the next in the 10's or below freezing.

America giddily lead (C/n) to McDonald's before bringing her to Starbucks for a quick drink. They didn't atay there long, deciding to take a walk through the well-lit streets. It was peacefukn and quiet without distractions or interruptions, until...

"Mr. America!"

Said nation nearly screamed in surprise. Whipping around, he stared at the woman shoving a mic into his face with wide eyes. "Tell us, what is your take on the Republican party? Surely you side with us Democrats, yes?"

"Uh, I--"

Another reporter appeared, more camera following America's every move. (C/n) curiously sippdd her latte, stifling her laughs. She felt a bit bad at how awkward America probably felt, but she couldn't really do anything. "Mr. America, as the represenative of our very country, you don't belive the fake news, right? Because of course you vote for Donald Trump instead!"

"No, he obviously votes for Hillary!"

"No!"

"Yes! Democrats! You all spread lies!"

"No! Republicans! You all push your agenda!"

"Democrats!"

"Republicans!"

(C/n) heard the camera man sigh, mumbling something along the lines of 'Why do we always have these problems every election?' as she placed a hand on America's shoulder with a devious smirk. "You should just tell the camera what you 'think'." she said, snatching the mic from one of the reporters. (C/n) looked at the camera man. "Get a good shot of us, alright?"

"U-uh, okay."

Clearing her throat, (C/n) put on her best reporter voice she'd previously heard many use. "Hello, we are back online, everyone! Ignore the two arguing reporters, because do I have a story for you. Mr. America, what is your, ah, 'take' on this whole situation?" She put the mic in front of America, urging him to talk. America smiled at his best friend affectionately before striking a 'hero pose'. "As the hero, it is my duty to speak my mind, as well as the truth! Since I am only a nation, I technicay don't count as a citizen. I can't vote."

The two reporters froze mid-shout.

"George Washington once told me something like, 'Citizens are only allowed to vote', so I told him I am a citizen of America, but he was like, 'No you're not, you're America, so you're not a citizen because you're actually America', and then I was like, 'Oh, okay'. So yeah, I can't vote because George told me I can't."

(C/n) couldn't suppress the amused smile that crawled onto her face. She knew America couldn't vote, but she didn't know he actually took George Washington's words to heart to this day. It was crazy because he said that over two hundred years ago.

"And there you have it folks," she said, "the story as to why Mr. America can not vote. That was my take on today from yours truly, (C/n)." (C/n) gave a goofy salute before handing the mic back to the baffled reporter. "That was awesome." she mumbled, walking off into the night with her friend.

"I know right! I feel so much lighter, like I finally got something off my chest. Thanks, Dudette!" America grinned, wrapping (C/n) in an affectionate hug. He paused for a second before releasing her. "Close your eyes for a moment, okay?" America said, cheeks burning as red as a tomato. (C/n) curiously nodded, doing as instructed. "Okay."

America's heart pounded against his chest. What he was about to do next could either ruin him or satisfy him. Either way, he was scared. But a hero is never scared, he told himself. With a quick, fluid motion, he slammed his lips onto (C/n)'s, feeling her slowly melt into the kiss. He wrapped his arms around, happy with himself. Once they broke, (C/n)'s cheeks were as red as his.

"I...I..." (C/n) couldn't find the right words, causing America's heart to sink. Was that too bold? Was he too dumb to think (C/n) would feel the same way? He averted his gazs awkwaredly, "It's okay if you don't--"

He felt (C/n) peck him on the cheek. "I love you too, America. Not as a friend but as...y'know...a thing."

"A boyfriend?"

"Yeah, that."

America felt his heart flutter at that. "I'll always be your hero, (C/n)! You can count on me."