Chapter 47: Detention

"Knight to 5c." I say, loud and clear. "Ah! Bugger this stupid game." James complains loudly. Remus laughs and watches his bishop fall. "Good choice." Sirius whispers to me, close to me on our horses. We're on the same team, against Remus and James. I smile shortly at him and turn away. He's really trying to be nice and make it up to me. I wish I wasn't so difficult sometimes. "Pawn to 2f." Remus says and his pawn moves, drawing it's huge sword in front of my horse. "Wait! Wait wait!" Sirius yells excitedly. "If I move to there, I can take you're pawn, Moony." He leans down to me so only I can hear him now. "And then you can move, check the king, and no matter what they do, if we move our castle, they're in check mate." My eyes flicker over the players and the board, and I nod slowly. "Knight to 2f." He commands, and his knight slashes down the pawn. James swears loudly, looking around. I grin, waiting for their move so me and Sirius can win. "Okay.. Pawn to 5h." James shrugs, not doing much in that move. "River, go." Sirius nods excitedly at me. "Knight to 8e." I tell the knight, who glides across the board, near the king. "Check." I tell James and Remus. "Ugh." "Move the king, James." Remus says, with exasperation in his voice. I glance towards Sirius, who nods at me, smiling. I shoot him a small smile before turning around again, to shout at our castle. "Castle to 6b." I tell it, then "Checkmate." James and Remus sigh loudly, and Peter claps happily from the corner of the board. The king stands, tall and solemn, and his long stone hands shift back slightly. The great sword stone he holds falls to the ground with a flurry of dust and a clang. "You probably cheated!" James says, climbing down from his horse. "Did not!" "Well I'm surprised you managed to stay on the horse." Remus shrugs. I laugh loudly, picking up my bag and swinging it over my shoulder. I turn and hit something small and skinny. Looking up, I meet the creepy eyes of Filch, the caretaker, and Mrs. Norris, his cat. "Well, well, well." He wheezes. "What do we have here? Students in the forbidden corridor. And.. Playing games, no less. What shall we do about it, my sweet?" He asks, picking up his cat. "Well, you see Sir, me and Sirius were just strolling along and-" "Well we weren't really strolling." Sirius interrupts, stepping forward. "Yeah, yeah, you're right!" James says thoughtfully, folding his arms. "We were more.. Kind of.. Walking, but not quite." "Yeah, it was a little like walking, but faster." "Was it power walking?" Remus asks. I raise my eyebrows. I never thought Remus would lie to a teacher, but after spending a year with him in school, I've realised that he would do anything for his friends, to help them, get them out of trouble. It's a pity Filch can't respect that. "Bit like power walking, yeah." "But it was slower. So you see sir, it wasn't our fault the school's a death trap with moving stairs." Filch looks at James with disgust, eyeing him impatiently. "Yeah, yeah, so we were power walking on the stairs, trying to get to.. Where were we going, Prongs?" "Oh, well, we were just going for a walk." "Yeah, and then we-" "ENOUGH!" Filch screeches, making us jump. "We will see what you're head of house makes of this." He says, beckoning.

**********

"Chess?! On the forbidden corridor?!" McGonagal asks us, shocked. "Well, these two I can understand" she waves a hand at James and Sirius, who try and look innocent. "But you, Remus and Arya Lupin. I'm appalled." "You see, Professor, Peter didn't actually play. So he shouldn't really get in trouble." James reasons. McGonagal sighs loudly, sitting down. "Who played and who didn't play is irrelevant, now Potter. Fifteen points will be taken from Gryffindor." The five of us look down in shame. "Each." McGonagal says shortly. "But-" "If you break the rules, you suffer the consequences. And the four of you will receive detention. Filch will see you tonight to wash tables." The five of us groan, walking out. "Fifteen points! Each! That's like.. Loads." Sirius says, running a hand through his dark hair. "It's 75, Sirius. 75." Remus tells him. "I'm more worried about the wrath and abuse were all going to get from Evans." James says quietly, to which I nod, mute.

***********

"Here." Remus says, chucking me a sponge. "Are you going to try out for the team next year?" James asks me, swiping a cloth over the tables. "Maybe." "Seriously, you should. You were really good." Sirius says without looking at me. I stay silent, ignoring him. All the same, a blush seeps across my cheeks. Crap. The three boys talk, and I think to myself. Sirius is really nice, albeit he's an ass, but he's a nice ass. He's funny and smart and I know I like him. "Why don't you just admit it?" The voice in my head asks. "No, don't! Don't even be friends with him! He's a lair and a cheat and scamming user! He's a slimy git." Another voice says. I roll my eyes, shaking away the voices.
We've been wiping tables for ages before I finally make a decision. It's a small decision, but all the same. I'm not going to be immature and block out Sirius any more. I'm going to talk to him, the next time the occasion arises.