Chapter 50: The train home

Third Person POV:

Remus, James and Peter barely noticed the absence of Sirius the next morning, assuming he was in the common room or still asleep, or with some girl. They did not expect to walk into the common room and see their best friend, asleep on the couch next to Remus' twin sister. Sirius had his arms wrapped around her waist, holding her close. Her head was on his chest, long black hair trailing over one shoulder. Sirius was half lying down, half leaning on the arm of the couch. As uncomfortable as it looked, the two of them looked happier than the other Marauders had seen them be in weeks. "Woah!" James exclaimed, stopping in his tracks. "Wow. I bet River's really pissed at him because of that." Peter added. Remus just looked at then, seemingly slightly embarrassed. "We should wake them up." James said firmly. "No! Don't do that! Let them sleep, Potter." A girls voice came from the stairs, and Lily Evans came walking down the stairs, looking lovely in jeans and a simple T-shirt, her red hair hanging loose. "Why not?" James asked her, and Lily rolled her eyes. Imbecile. "Because." She explained, as if he was the most idiotic person she'd ever met, which he was. "They're clearly having a moment. AND sleeping. Leave them be." She said, before walking away with a flick of her long red hair. "Prongs." Remus said, snapping his fingers in front of James' face, distracting James from staring after Lily's retreating back.

**************

River POV:

"We should wake them up now." I recognise James' voice, laced with mischief. "No don't!" Remus warms him. They have no idea that I'm awake. "Why not?" James asks, annoyed. "They were probably up half the night." "Yeah, I'd say they were." James says, probably with a wink. "Ew, Prongs! That's my sister!" "D'you reckon she snogged him?" James. "I don't want to know!" Remus says hotly, clearly embarrassed. "I bet they did." James laughs, just as Peter joins them with a nervous giggle. "No, James, Sirius and I were not up half the night snogging." I say without opening my eyes. "Merlin! You're so fucking sneaky, River." I open my eyes and smile at him, sitting up and running a hand through my messy hair. "Really? I seem to recall us snogging at least once." Sirius says from beside me. I turn to glare at him and he smirks, pecking me on the lips, causing James to laugh. "Can you please not?" Remus sighs. "Lighten up, Moony, it was a joke!" Sirius laughs, standing up and fixing his crumpled T-shirt. "So.. What's the story with you two?" James asks, leaning forward in the armchair he's sitting on. "Who?" Sirius asks, forever the dumb one. Remus and James roll their eyes. "You two!" James tells him in exasperation. "Oh.. Well, um.." Sirius starts. "I came down and Sirius proposed to me last night, so, yeah.." I trail off, and Sirius looks at me in shock before catching my eye and seeing the amused glint. "WHAT?" James explodes, standing up with wide eyes and an open mouth. "Excuse me?" Remus asks. "Wow Remus!" I laugh. "I didn't think you were that stupid!" "Of course we're not getting married! You should have seen your faces!" Sirius laughs, clutching his stomach. "Merlin." Remus groans, a hand on his forehead. "So what is really the.. Situation?" James asks with a grin. Sirius smirks that handsome smile I've come to love over the last few months."Well.. I have a new girlfriend, put it that way."

*******************

"Come on Lily! Please sit with us, just for a while." I beg. "No." She says firmly, crossing her arms over her chest. "I still can't believe you're going out with Sirius Black!" Alice says quietly. "Me either." I smile. "Neither can I! I thought you hated Black?" Lily asks me as we board the train. "Well.. No. We talked for a while and sorted everything out." "And now he's you're boyfriend?" Mary asks me. I nod, smiling. "Okay, I'll sit with you guys later." "No problem." Lily smiles at me, and I'm so grateful that she understands that I want to sit with my boyfriend and brother as well as her. "Sneak!" James grins as I sit down. "Sneak? Is that some weird nickname you've concocted?" I ask, raising an eyebrow. "Yes. Sneak." Sirius says solemnly. "I told you it suits you." He shrugs, grinning. I smile at him and he wraps his arms around my waist. "Can you keep the snogging to a minimum please?" Remus sighs loudly. Purposefully, I lean over and kiss Sirius lightly on the lips, and I feel him grin, pulling me closer. "Sirius! Come on! That's my sister!" Remus gives out, and I laugh at him, putting my legs over Sirius' legs and holding his hand. "Well, this year has been.. Eventful." I state as I gaze out the window. The others nod in agreement and James leans forward with anticipation. "I can't wait until sixth year!" "James!" I laugh. "Let me get over fifth year first!" "River?" Remus asks quietly. "Yup?" My brother smiles, mischief in his eyes. "I don't think you'll ever get over fifth year."