Knight of Converse - Chapter seven

Knight of Converse

Chapter seven

“What have you done to me?” I asked. My voice was dangerously low. A swell of heat began to expand in my chest. Electricity began to zap in the air. My left eye began to twitch. And I started to become angry…

Very angry.

“Ever since you bamboozled your way into—into my life, everything has become… warped. Irregular.

Duran’s eyes began to widen, he started at me with a look that I could only describe as shock, confusion and fear. My mind felt slightly fuzzy, and my skin tingled. I looked down and saw that my hands were glowing. I was glowing.

I looked into Duran’s eyes, and an explosion of power and heat I’d never before felt rocketed through my body. Everything was on fire, even my eyes were on fire. But I welcomed the fire… it felt good.

Duran’s eyes were wider than ever before, and he began to grapple at his throat, he sunk to his knees and began to choke. But my eyes wouldn’t move. I wouldn’t move. I was too immersed in the fire. The fire had me now. The anger had me now. It wasn’t fair. Nothing was fair. My life would never be the same again, and a momentary distorted thread of logic directed the blame at Duran.

“Sol…!” He choked, face turning red.

My hand shot out which sent him up into the air, spinning uncontrollably and landing ten feet away, smashing down onto the floor. He groaned loudly. I felt the ends of my hair begin to rise. I felt lighter, in control.

Powerful.

The heat penetrated deep into my bones, deep into every cell in my blood and my body as I began to rise. I was consumed by the heat, and the logical part of me couldn’t get through. I was trapped, but somewhere in the coolness at the back of my mind I felt logic stirring. Reality stirring. My eyes shot down to Duran’s. The coolness of his sharp aqua gaze began to pull me back. Pull the real Sol back.

“Soleils…” His soft call cut through. Duran held my gaze. He knew he was getting through. The heat in my eyes began to fade. The roughness in my expression began to dwindle. The lightness in my body began to melt. I looked down and saw my feet dangling in the air.

I wasn’t on the ground.  

The static air zapped around me. My unleashed power was too strong. It had been dormant for too long. It wanted out. “Duran!” I cried out in fear. I was back. Back again.

And I was falling.

As fast as humanly possible Duran jumped up, ran and sailed through the air, breaking my fall. We both tumbled onto the ground and before I knew it I had broken out into thick sobs that rocked my body. Duran held me.

“Shh, ‘twas not you in control.”

“I hurt you…” I whispered. “I hurt you, I’m so sorry!”

I held onto him tight. I was so scared. So scared of what I could do. What I would do. I was so scared of myself.

Suddenly I jumped up out of his hold and scurried backwards. He couldn’t be near me. I shouldn’t be allowed to be near anyone. I was out of control.

“S-s-stay away!” I stuttered out loud. The last of my tears were gone. It was just me and him now. Sol. It was me. Or was it something else? Was it the heat? How would I know?

Was I a monster?

I was covered in a light sheen of sweat. The front of my curly wild hair stuck to my face and neck. Suddenly I felt a gust of cold wind that slowly began to release the panic from my body. Duran was still crouched ahead of me, looking for any sign that I was physically hurt. I wasn’t.