Knight of Converse - Chapter nineteen

Knight of Converse

Chapter nineteen

There was no way that I was going to let Misty sleep on her own tonight, so I took both her and Duran back home. Mom and dad were asleep by the time we got back, much to our luck. Misty and I somehow found the strength to help Duran up the stairs. Though the poison was out of his system, he still had a gash on his shoulder. We set him into the bathroom before I lead Misty to my bedroom to get changed into my spare pyjamas. She was clearly still shaken about the whole ordeal, and frankly I was in a way too. To be honest I was in shock. Duran and Misty were almost killed in the same night, I couldn’t properly process it.

“I’m fine, really,” Misty insisted quietly, as she put on one of my old baggy t-shirts. “I swear.”

“No, you’re not,” I inspected her still trembling body. “You don’t have to lie to me, I was there.”

She looked away from me and sat on the bed. “What were those things?”

“Monsters,” I whispered harshly. “They were real life monsters.”

Her eyes were wide with fright when she looked back up at me. “They could speak a—a—and they... They…” she squeezed her eyes shut to repress the thought.  “They said terrible things…”

I rushed to her side. “They will never hurt you again, ever,” my voice portrayed my fierce desire and promise to protect her.

She gave me a haunting look. “I don’t ever want to lose you Sol,” she swallowed. “Remember when we first met?”

I groaned and rubbed my eyes. “I egged your house…”

She grinned. “And then I came out and said—”

“‘This is attempted murder!’” We both chorused, and laughed.

“You clarified that you were allergic to eggs and that my behaviour was an act of homicide.” I laughed quietly at the memory. The way that Misty’s brain worked never did fail to amuse me. I looked into her brown eyes and smiled, but her expression was still somewhat serious.

“That’s the last thing I had running through my head when I thought I was going to…” she paused to swallow her tears, “Above memories of my family, because Sol, you are my family too.” Her lip trembled.

A tear escaped my eye, and I quickly wiped it away. “Wow… this is such a sentimental moment…”

“Sol,” she groaned.

“I feel like I should fart or something to level the atmosphere…”

She turned away to lay down on the bed, “Goodnight Sol,”

“I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” I insisted, then sobered up. “You know how I get in…lovey dovey moments… okay…” I sighed. “I love you Mist, I really do… don’t say it much but—”

The sound of her snoring cut me off. I shook my head and covered her with the blanket. Trust her to fall asleep when I was finally pouring out my heart and soul to her. Okay, perhaps that was a little dramatic. I stood up and took a deep breath. I was beyond exhausted this night, but I didn’t feel like I could sleep. I bit my lip as I turned to walk towards the door so that I could get a medical kit downstairs. Duran was finishing up in the shower by the sound of it as I treaded carefully downstairs. I rushed over into the kitchen, and into the first aid cabinet where I grabbed the box. By the time I got back upstairs, Duran was inside his room. I walked over to the door and knocked carefully.

“Can I come in?” I asked quietly.

“Yes,” I heard his reply.

I opened the door to find that he was in nothing but shorts. His dark wavy hair still glimmered with moisture, as he sat down with a pained expression on his face.