Knight of Converse - Chapter twenty two

A/N As promised, here is the next chapter. It's the second to last part, be ready for some kickass action in the last and final instalment coming up tomorrow! Love you! Oh and vote and comment, telling me what you think if you enjoy it!

Knight of Converse

Chapter Twenty-two

There was one thing that I had to do before anything else – I had to see Danny. After a couple of hours sleep beside Duran, I got up and got dressed leaving a lingering kiss on his sleeping face. I remembered that there was no school today in preparation for prom, which was the last thing on my mind. After yanking on my boots, I walked out into the cold afternoon. There was something different about the day. It was as though the chill felt unnatural, but I brushed it aside as I climbed into my car and made my way over to the school sports courts, where I knew Danny was going to be training with the football team.

I arrived fifteen minutes later, parked my car and took a deep breath. I had to do this. This was the right thing. I tried to pep talk myself, but it made nothing any easier. I got out of my car anyway, and let my feet take me where I needed to go. The sky rumbled, I rolled my eyes at the pathetic fallacy, which ironically enough, felt like what I was feeling inside. Stormy.

The football team came into view, and my eyes immediately found Danny running to the side to get a drink of water. I wanted to turn around right then. I mean I could, right? All I had to do was move my feel and go back to my car, pretend this didn’t even happen. But how could I live with myself then? I sighed and walked over to the benches, my lips tight and eyebrows furrowed seriously. When Danny spotted me, he instantly smiled, and began to jog over to where I stood beside the bleachers.

“Sol! Hey! Where have you been?”

I thought about all that had happened within the past fourty-eight hours and almost laughed. Laughed and cried at the same time. “I’ve been around. How are you?”

“Is that all you came here for? Ask me how I am?” He raised his eyebrow cheekily.

“Is that a problem?” I couldn’t help but join in with his banter. I began to feel the weight of my heart heavy in my chest. How could I hurt him in any way?

“Maybe. You sure you don’t have nothin’ else for me?” he tapped his lips, and my smile fell.

“Danny…”

His smile slowly, faded too. “What?”

“I don’t know… I don’t know what to say…”

“Don’t say anything Sol, just don’t.”

“I’ve gotta… I’m sor—”

He pushed his finger over my mouth. “Shhhhh, don’t speak, if I don’t want to hear it, if you don’t wanna say it,”

I slowly held his hand and pulled it away. “I can’t be with you.” The words made me feel queasy, my eyes started to sting. This was so much harder than I thought it would be. Danny stared down at me blankly, saying nothing. He didn’t even pull his hand out of mine.

“You don’t mean that.”

I nodded. “I do. I just can’t do this anymore. I can’t hurt you anymore, and I can’t lie to myself anymore. Things aren’t going to be okay, not now. Maybe not ever.”

“You’re going to fast, Sol. Slow it down a little. What do you mean you can’t hurt me anymore? That I can’t handle being with you? You think I don’t want to?”