Chapter 13

Ok so I've changed the front cover again and so the story is now called 'Hold Me Close' because I think it's relevant to something that happens and the whole reference where Kellin says 'I'll hold you close you and show you you're not broken' so even though I preferred the old cover, this story is now called 'Hold Me Close'. ^.^

~~~

"So I'm going to leave you guys here and I had no part of this, OK?" Barakat practically barked at us making sure we understood that he was serious. We all nodded quickly, fearing the Sin and the consequence to if we disobeyed him. He gave us another intimidating look then softened for a brief moment, smiling at us before heading off back down to the Crimson River.

"So what do we do now?" Jack questioned, directing it at me. I shrugged because to be honest I didn't know. We were stood on the small ledge at the bottom of the clock and couldn't see any entrance to get behind it to where we needed to go. I walked the length of the ledge searching for an entrance but couldn't see one. I looked behind me at the guys to see that they were doing the same thing although Gabe was just standing still, staring at the point where the hands met.

"Gabe, what are you-"

"Shh," he interrupted me. I frowned because even though he does it all the time he still knows that I don't like it, "Everyone, shut up."

We all stopped what we were doing and stared at Gabe who kept up his intense stare at the centre point of the clock. We listened to see what Gabe was on about and Justin just gave me a confused look and I shrugged. That's when we heard it. Usually it would have been normal to hear but since the torturing in Hell had still been put to a stop no one should have been able to hear any cries and yet we did. The screams weren't normal, it was like they weren't there but the screaming was sharp and in our heads. The only words we could make out were 'what are you doing here' said in different emotions. Some voices would shout it at us whilst others would cry it out in fear of us. This was not at all what it was like when I spoke to Vic, these voices weren't coming from the same place. They mustn't have because the others could hear it too.

"Where are those voices coming from?" Justin shouted, his hands over his ears. If we kept listening to these voices one of us will end up going insane. Gabe pointed upwards to the hands and that's when it was made clear to us exactly what it was. The screaming faces that were carved into the burnt wood that were the hands were closer so clearer to see. The mouths were moving and by reading their lips it was them who we're screaming at us.

"It's like they're burnt into the wood to guard whatever's behind this clock," Gabe stated. I just nodded and stood next to Gabe so that I was directly beneath the faces, Justin and Jack repeated my actions so we stood in line, all of us looking above us.

"What do we say?" Justin asked, not shifting his gaze for a second.

"We simply ask," was all I could come up with. I cleared my throat and paid my full attention to the faces, "Please let us in."

Laughter broke out amongst the faces and I frowned. Well, I guess being polite won't work. I supposed I needed to give them an explanation.

"Please, we have a friend back there who doesn't deserve to be th-"

"Everyone behind here deserves everything they get!" One of the voices snapped at me but it didn't stop my protesting.

"No, you don't really know that," I said, trying to convince them and mess with their minds a little, "Your faces are etched onto wood, you can't move, you can't see, you can hardly speak. How would you know what's been going on here? How would you even know what's behind that clock you so preciously protect? In reality you have no power and are nothing considering it takes a lot of focus to even notice that you exist, am I right?"