Chapter 15- The Poem

"Help me,

I'm falling,

You're the only one there,

Can you hear me calling,

It's my silent peads,

I don't know how to escape,

Wallowed up in my misery,

Facing the nightmare,

The Monster,

Will you help me,

Even if I can't cry it out,

Even if I can't find a way to ask for your hand?"

I grit my teeth after reading it in front of class, only staring at the paper in my hand. Unfortunately, Mr. Hadd never mentioned we had to share it until 'after' we wrote it.

"That was......speculating......hand your paper in for a grade, Mr. Heffer. Thank you for sharing that.....intriguing poem." He says. I give my poem to him and storm to my seat. Some girl gets up to read her's, but I tune everything out, silently fuming to myself for not being smart enough. For not thinking.

I look up slowly to see Trent looking at me with a curious gaze, almost questioning. I shake my head, and look away. He wouldn't understand.

[ After School ]

"Kye, what's up with that poem?" Trent ends up next to me as I walk to Jim's.

I shrug. "I just felt like writing it. Stop bothering me about it."

"I know there's a reason for a poem as dark as that-"

I cut him off, "Don't worry about it. It's my problem, so don't get in my business."

Suddenly, I'm forcefully turned around, and staring at what looks like an angry Trent.

"Listen! You don't think I know what it's like to be abused? You don't think I know what it's like to suffer alone, and have no one there? I know exactly that feeling! I have scars to prove it! I wish you would let me do something!"

"Tell me, Trent, what can you do? Huh? Call the police, and file a complaint of child abuse? I have no proof he's touched me! I have no evidence that he's ever laid a hand on me. So I can't do anything until I'm eighteen, but he'll probably kill me then."

"What do you mean, 'no evidence'?" He asks confused.

"Nothing. Just go. Just leave me, and keep out of my life. You can't worry about me." I say, a dangerous hint in my voice.

"I can't just leave you. I would never forgive myself." He says.

I turn and head to the only place I live. "Well, you'll have to start learning. Now."

And I say all that before leaving him, and making my way inside.

"Hey, Kye." Cassie giggles, and hugs me, I return it before heading to the kitchen for a small snack....anything to distract me from what just happened.

"So what's your school like?" She asks, interested.

"It's huge, obviously. It doesn't have too many bad people. A lot of drama," I poke her cheek after I say that and she chuckles, "And if you were there, you'd be the Drama Queen of them all, I'm sure."

"I wish I could go to your school." She says quietly.

"Yeah, and gossip to all the girls about me, so they attack me? I have plenty already." I snort.

She laughs. "Nooo, because I wanna be with you. You seem alone."

I look at her, and feel bad. She's only sixteen, and she worries about me. She should worry about herself. I give her another hug. "I'm not alone. You're here now, so don't worry. I'm fine. Go do what you sixteen year old girls do."

She nods. "I guess."

Today is one of those days when Jim seems to be a bit generous, because he ends up talking on the phone, and going out to the bar, he gives me the warning look before he heads out, and I nod.

I've been sitting on the couch with Cassie snuggled up next to me, while we watch horrible comedies. Her and I like to make our own lines up, about what they will say next. Something stupid. And then we explain the character. It's a traditional thing we do to make them more interesting. Faith ends up coming home from a friend's and joins us. I decide to be lazy, and take the chips, soda, and other junk food they offer. Personally, I don't enjoy it most of the time. But tonight is a bonding night, I suppose. So I should enjoy it while it lasts.

Afterwards, it turns into a fight for the remote, while I simply watch them. And Cassie decides the only way to win is the chuck a pillow at Faith's face. Which ends with inanimate objects hurled at each other that don't cause harm. I somehow end up in the fight, so I defend myself by hiding behind the couch, and they just tackle me, and tickle me. Believe it or not, I'm a very ticklish so I'm surprised when a small squeal passes my lips. They start cracking up, and I run in the kitchen under the table.

"What the.....hahahaha! Really, Krystle? Under a table!?!" Faith snickers.

"Shut up, you would do the same if you were me." I grumble.

"Haha, awww, is Krystle afraid of tickling?" She taunts.

"Yes. So don't." I say honestly. I remember she used tickle me when I was younger.

Eventually, I get out from under the table, and we all calm down a bit. And them I head for my room to sleep. And I'm worn out enough that sleep is ease. And the dreams aren't so bad.

If only everyday I could smile. Or be laughing.

Or with my parents.

Or with an uncle who actually loves me.

But two cousins who love me unconditionally is the best gift for now.

If only they knew.