Chapter 30- Finding Them

Rows and rows of hanging wooden cages lie before us. Most of them crowded with humans, they barely have clothes covering themselves and their small amount of dignity.

Some cages are steel, some above spikes that stick into the scalding ground. I can even feel the heat radiate into my feet from the soles of my shoes.

These beautiful creatures-- naked but beautiful-- are near the horrified humans. They have tails with a sharp spear connected to the end. Their ears pointed and higher on their head than any normal humans'. They have sharp teeth and talons created especially for shredding flesh. They're bodies slim and delicate and pliant, but I can sense their strength. The beat of their heart strong.

But the eyes. They vary. Some bright red, eager for bloodshed, others golden, silver, green, blue.

However, they're torturing the humans. Probing them, burning them using only the power of their eyes. Literally.

Some just sucked the soul out without them waiting for any torture. You can see it. The soul traveling helplessly to the creatures.

The Reapers.

What I am. I'm that.

"Why did you bring me here?!" I whispered angrily to Maxin, "I don't want to see this."

His focused eyes land on me. "What do you mean? We do this all the time."

"Not me." I blurt.

His eyes narrow. "But...you're a Reaper."

I drag him to a small area that isn't full of those soul-thirsted Reapers.

"Listen closely; and you tell anyone, I will kill you on the spot." I glower at him.

He nods, his face serious.

"I...I didn't know what I was until I felt the anger take control of me and I killed someone," I pause and watch his face carefully, "I lived on Earth. I've never been here before. My uncle was the one who basically raised me. He never told me."

It's silent for a moment, and his eyes aren't suspicious or concerned at all. They actually look amused.

He snorts. "I know. Your uncle is someone my parents know. They know you too. But now they've finally met you."

I gape. Is he effing serious?

He snickers. "Do you have any idea who you really are?"

"No."

It's simple. I don't know who I am anymore. Everything I've been told were lies. The truth was now showing. All these twisted lies revealed an even more twisted truth. One I'm not sure I want to know anymore.

His eyes widen. "Are you serious? You honestly don't?" He face-palms.

"What?" I snap, aggravated.

He shakes his head. "Too much is running through your head. Wait.."

He drags me back out, and I flinch, solemnly watching the poor humans' souls become the Reapers' favored meal.

That's when my ears pick up a familiar scream.

They twitch and I scan the rows of cages.

That scream...it's from Faith.

I yank out of the young Reaper's grasp and bolt away, to the ringing scream.

It becomes more pronounced and I hear another voice trying to soothe her, and then a shout.

Trent!

Rakin uses all the power he can muster and batters against the walls inside me, trying to get to the one person who matters to him.

I hide behind the high walls of this Hell and peer just above one, and there! I spot all three of them. Caged but fully clothed.

Feeling Like a ninja, I slide along the wall, grinding my teeth against the burns it left behind.

As if Trent knows, his eyes meet mine, and I solidify.

Rakin purrs, happy to take in this human's appearance.

He's smeared with dirt and blood. Obviously he had a nasty fight with the Reapers.

I inch forward. Closing the distance between us and his hand stretches out to stroke my cheek.

"You're okay." I whisper.

He nods, and smiles somberly.

"Okay, now that you've both had a small moment, could you kinda help us get out now?" Faith complains.

I break the bars like they're mere twigs. I pull them out and Trent leaps into my arms.

I wrap my arms around him and inhale his familiar scent, that's mingled with sweat, dirt and blood.

"Krystle! What did you do?!" A voice cries out.

I look up to see Maxin staring back, his expression mortified.

"What do you mean, 'what did I do'? I'm saving them from being these soul suckers' next victims." I rasp, quickly untangling myself from Trent's warm embrace.

"But they're human!" He shouts.

"And they're MY family!" I defend, looking him deep in the eyes, daring him to argue further.

He nods reluctantly, anxiousness shining bright in his eyes. "We're going to be so dead, so hurry and follow me, before one of them sees us."

I gather Faith and Trent safely in front of me, Joana huddles in the in to front with Maxin, and I stay in the back following, guarding them.

"Do you smell that?" A voice screeches behind us.

I look over my shoulder, my eyes meeting a pair of silver ones.

The Reaper's eyes widen and his nose twitches before he stalks towards us.

My heart leaps into my throat, suffocating me.

When he's in front, he sniffs me tentatively and his lips pull back from his teeth, his shark teeth glinting in the dim light. "Hey! Heyyy! It's the Prince!"

Suddenly all the Reapers pause in their moment of feasting to Look directly at me.

I give them a confused look, trying to get control of my racing heart. "What?"

He scowls. "It's you. The King's son."