Chapter 28 - Pondering Thoughts

After this morning, Jim comes back and hauls me up. We have to go somewhere, apparently.

Only question is-- where?

Leaving everyone else behind, and having no choice but to store my pain from the recent truth-- possibly lie-- of my parents, I follow him. I hate the fact that he's my only dependable source of defense and living.

Flinching slightly, while my injuries slowly heal. My Soul Keeper is tucked tightly away, so healing will take some time.

I honestly felt the very heat pouring off Jim. The anger.

The hate.

My mind goes back to what he told me, and I slow down my stride.

It can't be possible that my parents actually gave me away. He had to be lying. Jim was always best at that; lying.

However, deep into the core of my heart, I can feel a thread of doubt. Just a small sliver of paranoia.

The part that struck me the most was when he said that HE wanted ME. If so, then why does he blame me for the death of a son I've never met, and a wife who "supposedly" left him? I'm guessing he also had a whole bunch of precious puppies I murdered too, I suppose?

I shake my head, feeling the heat of the sun burning my scalp and matty hair, causing me to feel dizzy.

"Where are we going anyways?" I grumble disdainfully, feeling irritated.

He stares at me from out of the corner of his eye. "You'll see. We just need to meet with one of the Gatekeepers, so we can leave."

"Gatekeepers?"

"Yes, Krystle, Gatekeepers. They're Reapers in charge of the dimensions. And since we don't have the power to just leave this place, we have to find them, to help us."

I almost gape. This was all too simple.

I grumble a few more times when swiftly, a figure loops right into our sight, and we halt abruptly.

A tall male, with blue hair bright enough it almost hurts to look at, and gleaming green emeralds for irises, stands before us. He's about as thin as I, and pale.

He flashes us a snarky smile. "And who might you two be?"

He sniffs the air, and I begin to notice how fragile and delicate he looks. Almost like some pixie.

"Ah, Reapers, I presume? Well you both look like you've just came out of a sewer." He grins.

"Hmm....Jim, and that," My uncle points to me with a disgruntled look, "That is Krystle."

The Reaper looks me over. "I've heard that crystals look shiny and expensive. But you....don't have much of an expensive taste in clothing, do you?"

I glare, knowing that I should've brought my backpack with me from the shed, since I did have a fresh shirt in there. Of course, I never do think these things through. When Jim wants you to do something now, he does mean NOW. So I would've had no such luck in quickly snatching it.

"So what are you doing at a time like this? It's blistering hot, and you guys look like-- oh! Are you travelers?" The Reaper jumps slightly, and looks at us curiously.

"Yes, but we don't exactly have a fancy lifestyle. Ever since we came." Jim shoots me a hard stare.

"Well, I'm Maxin. I can bring you to my place to stay. After all, there are others, who I'm sure would enjoy your company." He slowly smiles at the both of us.

Without question, Jim follows him. I gawk at my uncle, thinking he might have been a bit more wise than this; Following some strange Reaper, who can easily turn out to be something more, and something dangerous.

He lowers his hard gaze down on me, clearly displaying that I follow him without argument.

And so, we silently follow the strange blue-haired creature.

But, of course, if we die, at least I can say it's my uncle's own stupidity that caused it....