Chapter Ten- When You Least Expect It, I'll Get You....

I'm thrown to the floor, hitting my still-tender feet in the process. I wince and stay still, knowing the penalty for trying to get up.

"I'm tired of you. Why do I even let you live? Oh, that's right, for my daughters. I do this for them. Not for you." Jim spits, looking at me with disgust.

I glare back, something I never do, but it's morning, and I the pills aren't in my system, so I'm not really in control of my emotions. "So beating me is for your daughters, and they don't know? What a gift."

I see the hand descending before I feel it slam into my face with unbelievable force. My head snaps back and I end up completely on my back.

"You never backtalk me, little boy. Ever. Who do you think you are to have any right?" He looms over me, trying to intimidate me.

Unexpectedly, a sharp feeling rushes and Burman through my blood, hot and quick. A feeling I can't remember ever having, but it takes complete control of my body and mind.

I stand up to my full height, and give him a death-stare. "I have no right?! Well, what right do you have to beat a human- not to mention YOUR NEPHEW- and act like it's a daily act in life for everyone?! Answer that, uncle! Or should I even call you that? My Dad is probably looking down on you with disgrace and shame! You shame our family! I don't know why you hate me, when I was just a regular kid living with his uncle. I lost my parents, and this is how you treat me? Like shit!? Like the dirt you step on everyday? Then you must not be a good uncle or father, because no one deserves to be treated the way you treat me. I'm glad it's me, so no one can see what a true monster you are! Your own daughters think you're the best Dad when you're really just cruel, sadistic and manipulative! No wonder your wife left!" I snarl, clenching my hands together and staring at him, showing all the hatred I feel towards him. Letting him practically feel my burning rage.

His face turns red and he clamps one hand over my thin forearm. "Oh, Krystle, I know you took your medication last night, right?"

I twist in his grip, but his hand is firmly locked around it. I lift my head in defiance. "No. I never had a day without them, and I wanted to know what it's like. What are you gonna do now, torture me? You can't do anything that you already have done. I lived through it, I can do it again."

His face twists into one of a madman. "Oh, trust me, Krystle. I still haven't done one thing, and you won't be able to stand through that kind of pain. And I'm gonna get you. I won't beat you now, because I'm gonna do something horrible when you least expect it. Something worse than your nightmares."

"I don't have nightmares. You've hurt me enough, that a lot doesn't scare me now." I say calmly, but inside I feel sick, because Jim is capable of a lot of scary, unexpected things. He's the only enemy in my path.

He throws me away from him, a wicked smile spreading across his face. "I would take my pills today, Krystle. That mouth of yours will regret what comes out if I hear your insults. You don't want a punishment, I'm sure. You say that the pain doesn't faze you, but inside, we all know you're absolutely terrified of what I can do to you."

Well,bI'm not absolutely terrified, but I'm worried about my mouth not keeping in check, that I have care to make my way to the kitchen and pop the pills in my mouth. It's the weekend, and if Cassie and Faith go out, it will be a long punishment for me if my mouth gets out of hand.

"Smart boy. Just not smart enough. The girls want to go to the mall, and since they'll be suspicious if I keep you here, you're going. Bring your money and buy something. You tell them and I will make your already-pathetic life a living Hell." He states, calmly making his way to his room just as Cassie comes running into the kitchen.

She launches herself at my back like a frog, and latches onto me like a sloth. "Krystle! Goooood morning! We're going to the mall, Faith is still getting ready, so we'll have to wait for her."

Her chin rests on the back of my shoulder. I nod, and pry her off. I'm already styled up. White skinny Jeans, black combat boots up to my knees, a black hoodie on, and my scene-hair in perfect order. Even after my small incident with Jim. And my red contacts are in. I like to style myself everywhere. I take my time to put eyeliner on, sometimes lipstick, and my hair. Everything. I take the time to do it all, even if I stay home. It's me.

Faith comes in and ushers us out and waving to Jim like he's the best Dad they have. They think they're grateful to have him. But if they actually knew him, they would be sure to stay miles away from him. And possibly lock me in a basement so I can be safe. Even though that would actually be bad. But they really care for me, and Jim would do anything for them, even if that meant letting me live.

We make it to the mall, and just as I get out, I'm engulfed into a bear hug.

I squirm, trying to get a look at this stranger, but they're hugging me from behind.

"OH, MY GAWD! YOU HAVE A GIRLFRIEND!?" Faith yelps hysterically.

What?! I don't have a girlfriend!¡