Chapter 29- Another Dimension

I feel a soft rush of air swirl around my body like a caress. Then the pain follows.

My eyes snap open and I realize I fell.

I hear a chuckle and see Maxin grinning, a teasing lilt in his eyes.

Grumbling, I get off the floor and trudge past him. "Shut up."

"Ohhh, someone is getting snapp-ehhh." He purrs.

Rolling my eyes, I wait till he's done teasing me before I make my way to the living room of a rather large house.

Last night I remember how he introduced us to many other reapers that lived here and showed Jim and me around. Each just as whimsical and delicate as a nymph. However, we are killers.

Jim sat in a chair already, settled and chatting casually with Maxin's mother.

She was tall, and kind, seeming to care deeply for her child. From what I remember of last night as he introduced us.

I huff and squirm.

I learned my Soul Keeper's name through interrogation with him Last night. Ha, yeah, he can talk. Stubborn as hell, but he can talk.

Rakin is his name.

And right now, he's aching to see one face.

I think of his black hair and gentle features. Which weren't really gentle, but his expression was. Think of the eyes that were still mysterious to me.

Rakin yearns to see Trent. And so do I.

As that realization hit, I feel a bit of sadness. Is he okay? Is he still alive?

Does he miss me too?

"Krystle!" A voice snaps and I look at Jim.

"Huh?"

He sighs. "They'll lead us to the Gatekeepers."

"What about everybody else?" I burst.

What about Trent?

He gives me a look for me to silence myself, and I do.

These are Reapers we're with. And if they know we're speaking of humans...

I shake my head and walk outside.

I can't believe he'd actually go back for them.

I scowl. He only wants Faith back. His daughter. The only person he actually has a soft spot for. If he has one.

Rakin whimpers, clearly wanting me to find Trent.

The urge to fight it wasn't exactly easy. Not when your own Soul Keeper is annoying the crap out of you.

"Ahhh, nothing better than fresh air." A voice says, and someone loops their arm around me.

Maxin.

I glare at him, squirming in attempt to stop his touch.

"Hey, calm down, will ya? I'm not gonna try anything." He chuckles.

"Whatever." I growl.

"Why are you such a downer? lighten up, man." He makes a face, "Ohh, I'm Krystle and I can't find happiness anywhere, 'cause moping around is what I do best. And I'm too serious to take a joke."

I slap him. "Shut up."

He starts laughing, and points. "See?"

"And?" I challenge, annoyed.

He stops laughing and rolls his eyes. "You really are too serious. Someone needs to lead you to the fun side of life."

Yeah, a side I barely ever get to see.

I look up at him. "What do you mean?"

He shrugs and smirks. "Maybe going to the Human Pit."

Huh?

I give him a blank stare and he smiles, "There's another dimension where we have humans to take their souls. They're slaves. And there are plenty of humans. A feast!" He spreads his arms wide and grins foolishly.

A shudder of disgust runs down my spine.

I imagine the poor confused humans, in cages, locked and helpless to our power. Unable to live a life they were given. A life that wasn't about being killed.

That's when children images come to mind.

"No. What the hell?" I almost shout.

He gives me a strange look. "What? I'm sure you're starving. C'mon."

"No." I say firmly.

Maxin doesn't listen and yanks my arm. I snarl.

"I'll show you."

Then, he opens a portal and walks through, struggling to make me join. I snap and pull back, both of us grunting and huffing. Finally, he gets me through.

I panic, holding my breath at what I might see.

Suddenly, we both fall and tumble to rocky, blistering hot ground.

I notice that I've been falling quite a lot lately. And it was nerve wrecking.

We get up and wipe ourselves down.

"That's the only part I hate about dimensions, " he grimaces. "Can there not be a better way?"

"Apparently not." I grumble and take in my surroundings.

My heart skips a beat.

We weren't in another dimension.

This...is Hell.