Comfort

Third Person P.O.V:

Hiccup was chief. The fact had not sunk in until just now. He groaned and hit his head against the table.
His father was dead. Tears sprang to his eyes, and he struggled to keep them from falling.

A knock on his door brought him back to reality. He dried his tears and opened it, pleased to see the ocean blue eyes of his fiancée staring back at him.

"Hello M'lady," He leaned down and captured her lips in a kiss, all of his worries melted away.

They broke apart and Astrid smiled, "Hey babe. How are you holding up?"

He sighed. This was one question he did not wish to answer. Nevertheless, the words spilled from his mouth like a waterfall, his bottled up emotions finally being released.

"Not good," he admitted, "It's finally sunk in, just now. I've just realized that my father is gone. For good. I'm never going to argue with him about wether I'm ready to be Chief. I'm never going to discuss plans with him. I'm never going to hear him tease me about marrying you again. I'm never going to hear him wish me good night as he stays up late working on chief duties.
Because he's gone! And," at this point his voice broke, and tears flowed freely down his face. Astrid rubbed his back soothingly and let him cry onto her shoulder.
Hiccup took a shuddering breath and continued, "I'm never going to be able to tell him I love you again."
He sunk to the floor, sobs wracking his body. Astrid kneeled beside him and hugged him, her hand never leaving his.

"Hiccup, it's okay. Let it out. I'm here."

And so he did. He cried, and cried, and cried.

And through it all, Astrid was there, holding his hand and whispering comfortingly into his ear.