17'PROPHECY

“Next time, don’t dream about the impossible, you’ll end up being hurt.” He stood up already and opened his door.

     My eyes widened. How did he able to say it? Hindi niya ba alam na masarap mangarap kahit na . . . kahit na imposible? “Sometimes, the impossibles are worth dreaming for.”

     “No, it’s not,” he pushed.

     “Yes, it is.”

     He looked at me in a second and after that he smirked, “Such a small brain,” and he already vanished with his door. Wala na akong nagawa kundi ang bumuntong hininga. Small brain? I snorted. Kung alam lang niya kung ga’no ko kagustong makita ang mama’t papa ko, he’d know that the impossibles are worth dreaming for.

     “Hayaan mo na siya,” Xayl’ placed his hand on my shoulder, trying to calm myself. We just continued to eat and after that we already went to our respective rooms. At nakita ko na naman si Kuting. I really didn’t like him. I hated him. I wanted to kill him.

     “Just hold your temper, Racchina,” Adiya told me, aware of the sharp look I’m throwing to Kuting. I just sighed and tried to be calm.

     “Any question, Bearers?” Narvya entered the room and greeted us with the question.

     “Have you ever thought of having only one region in Zoidion?” agaran kong tanong. Narvya found herself with nothing to say for a few seconds. And when she already knew what to, she answered me a “Nope” though I felt like part of her voice was telling me a yes.

     I heard Zyke’s smirk.

     “Why?”

     Bigla naman akong sinagot ni Taru, “It’s a sign of respect to King Ertium and Queen Arkia, Racchina.” Pero hindi pa rin ako mapakali. A sign of respect. That’s what everyone in Zoidion always said about why we’re still into regions; kung bakit may mga batas kaming sinusunod at siyang dahilan kung bakit namatay ang mga magulang ko.

     “Why?” makahulugan kong tanong kay Narvya.

     “You heard Taru explained. Isn’t it enough?” her voice wasn’t energetic.

     “Why?” I seriously iterated.

     We heard her sigh. “It’s because . . . of the prophecy.”

     Everyone in the room became alarmed. A prophecy? How dare they hide this from the people of Zoidion?

     “What prophecy?” Xayl’ questioned.

     Narvya clapped her hand and the room went dark. We turned around when we sensed that the dusts were clogging behind us. There, we saw letters making up words, floating in the air.

Beware! A man and a woman, born with different Signs.
One is a Rare and the other has a purest blood.
A love so unlawful creates a monster inside
From a womb comes great hiatus
To the three worlds, won’t survive

     Narvya clapped her hands and the words dropped out of our sight. We turned around to face our preceptor.

     “That’s why regions shouldn’t be merged into one, Racchina. The Zoidion can’t afford to have a person with a rare blood. That’s why it’s prohibited to make any connection with another Signs. An Aries is for an Aries, a Gemini is for a Gemini and so with the other Signs.” She paused. “I hope you understand.”

     An Aries is for an Aries, a Gemini is for a Gemini and so with the other Signs.

     That line. Hindi ko maiwasang malungkot. I smiled bitterly. Sa lahat ba naman ng Signs bakit Aries at Gemini pa? Napabuntong-hininga na lang ako. They died because of that thought. They died because everyone didn’t want the prophecy to happen.

     “Are you okay?” Xayl’ whispered beside me and in reply, I nodded.

     “Why did the Bearers hide this from the people of Zoidion?” Taru inquired.

     “We don’t want the people to be alarmed,” Narvya responded. “Any question?”

     Zyke opened his mouth, “Is there something we need to know that you haven’t told yet?”

     “There’s so much more. There’s so much more but I won’t tell.”

     “Why?” Con.

     “Because some histories should be kept as secrets. And some secrets should be kept forever. Right, Racchina?” My eyes widened. She looked at me with her smile. Hindi ko alam kung alam niya ang sekreto ko o nagkataun lang na ako ang hinarap niya.

     “H’m,” tipid kong sagot, couldn’t look straight into her eyes.

     “Tomorrow’s going to be the first day of your serious training. I expect you’ll be ready. Class is dismissed. You can now go to your respective elemental rooms.”

     I freed a breath and just comforted myself.

     “Dor aparir,” the others blurted and their doors showed up from nowhere, so I also summoned my door to appear as well.

     “See you tomorrow, Racchina,” Adiya said, then she already passed through her door.

     “See you tomorrow, Beautiful,” Con said with a pervert smile. Hindi ko na lang siya pinatulan, feeling ko kasi wala ako sa mood.

     Nagsialisan na sila hanggang sa si Xayl’ na lang ang naiwan sa aming anim. “Are you really okay?” alala niya.

     “H’m. Don’t worry about me,” I suggested and I saw him nodded. He already passed through his door at kasama niyang nawala ang pintuan niya. Napabuntong-hininga na lang ulit ako. I felt so helpless this day. Nami-miss ko mga magulang ko. I wondered how they looked like. Gusto ko silang makita. But it seemed like it’s not going to happen.

     . . . don’t dream about the impossible, you’ll end up being hurt.

     I sighed again when I remembered what Kuting said. Was he really right? Should I already give up with what I believe in? Ugh! The thoughts’ making me dizzy, siguro’y kailangan ko na’ng magpahinga.

     I already took a step when Narvya’s voice stopped me. “Dracchinaveya.”

     I turned around and frowned. Why did she call me with that name?

* * *