4'THE CAPRICORN RUIN

“Racchina!”

     “Racchina!” The twins called my name in unison. They’re already far from me and Madame. They’re trying to catch up with the Pure Bloods who were most likely inside the Capricorn Ruin already.

     They briskly walked, following the path and couldn’t wait as if the opportunity to become the Capricorn Region’s Gate Key Bearer only happened once in a lifetime.

     “Mauna na kayo!” I hollered for them to hear, cheering them up and hoping one of them would be able to get the Capricorn Key inside the ruin.

     “Who do you think will likely be able to be chosen?” Madame asked me when her daughters’ silhouettes were already gone.

     I made a forced laugh telling her I didn’t want to choose from the two of them. “I hope one of them will be chosen,” I opted to say for safety.

     We walked with normal pace and when we got to a halt, we’re already at the foot of the Capricorn Ruin.

     I saw a great number of people in the area. I never thought that it would be crowded like this as if all the people in town just got to be gathered here. Well, they should be. Everyone was hoping to be chosen and everyone was waiting for the new Bearer.

     “Mama! Racchina!”

     “Mama! Racchina!”

     Raya and Taya waved at us signaling that they’re already ready to enter the ruin. As a response, we waved our hands back at them before they went inside. I could also see other individuals who were entering the ruin with the same age as Raya and Taya.

     “Naiinis na raw sa kahihintay ang bagong Bearer ng Leo Region,” a woman said from near, chitchatting with others just to remove the tiresome thought of waiting for the new Bearer.

     “Pati raw ang ibang Zodiac Region. They’re already starting to be impatient. Bakit ba kasi wala pang napipiling Bearer ang region natin?” another woman gave a statement.

     “Maybe, the Spirit of Capricorn is looking for someone he really wanted to choose. And who ever he is, maaaring nasa paligid lang siya. And Capricorn is waiting for him to have the courage in taking a step inside the ruin.”

It’s already twelve in the afternoon but Raya and Taya hadn’t come out yet. Hindi rin naman bumababa ang bilang ng mga tao sa labas, nag-aabang na masilayan ang bagong Bearer. Who could blame us? Knowing that the current Bearer was on sleep without even a sign of waking up was a bad premonition to what might happen in the future. But having a new Bearer could give rise to our hopes that somehow, someone could protect our region from awakening darkness.

     It’s already 3:00 P.M. when there was still no news about Raya and Taya. Others who entered inside in the same hour as theirs had already come out but why they’re not?

     “Nag-aalala na po ako kina Raya at Taya,” I opened to Madame Ruth.

     “H’m,” she replied, staring at the doorway of the ruin and that moment I knew she’s very worried, too.

     “Madame, if you would excuse me,” I seriously asked for permission while staring at the entrance.

     “Racchina . . .” she whispered as if resisting.

     I looked at her. “I’m not hoping to be chosen, Madame. I just want to check if they’re okay.” Then after saying those words―without hesitating―I ran toward the rarest area of the ruin where a new entrance could be found, where only me knew, I think. After all, the ruin became a shed for me every time I happened to pass by. Kaya sa tingin ko’y mas alam kong may ibang daan dito.