7'NIGHT GALA

“Adiya, the Bearer of Aquarius!” a woman’s voice from outside whom I guessed Arda’s, proudly introduced their region’s new Bearer. That’s when the crowd went to a roar, chanting “Aquarius.” The tone of their voices was somehow telling everyone that they’re the strongest of all Zodiac Regions.

     I made a bitter smile. ‘Yan naman lagi ang nasa utak ng mga tao. They always thought that their Sign’s greater than anybody’s. Each region strove to be on top. And even if Zoidion was already divided for twelve leaders to lead each region, gusto pa rin nila’ng tumaas pa sa ibang mga rehiyon.

     Peace. I admitted that we have achieved it. But “unity”? I didn’t think so.

     “In behalf of Cronus, the former Bearer of the Sea Goat. I am Tron, Taurus’ former Bearer.”

     I ready myself for it would already be my turn―the last Sign to be introduced.

     He continued, “I introduce to you . . . the new Gate Key Bearer of Capricorn Region . . . Racchina!” Then the door went open on its own. A great light welcomed me. And when it’s gone, I slowly walked outside my room.

     I knew I’m already on top of the stairway but I couldn’t just take my eyes away from the great crowd that was actually before me. So this is the Great Circle, I thought. A meeting place for all, a place where you can see the constellations from above. But still, the people were still divided into 12 areas―and I knew that they’re all looking at me.

     I took a step and realized that it would be a long way down. I took another steps and got to know that that the steps behind me were vanishing. “Magic.” I continued stepping down without even trying to gaze on the stairs.

     Everyone was watching me carefully descend. Everyone was silent and it made me anxious. Halos marinig ko na ang sariling tibok ng puso ko. I never thought I could find such great assemblage of people in one place. Hindi ako sanay.

     My gaze quickly shifted to the end of the stairs. And there, I saw six men and five women who were at the same age as mine’s, at least, that’s what I thought. They’re looking at me as my distance lessened. And when I took my first step on the circular platform at the center of the Great Circle, I came to know that they’re also Gate Key Bearers as I am.

     My eyes shifted to a man who smiled at me and gestured where I should step onto. Agad ko namang nakita ang sign ko so I smiled a little to mean thank you.

     Removing my gaze from him, I already stepped on the sign on the floor, letting myself to be in between the Bearers of Sagittarius―who actually smiled at me lately―and Aquarius. After that, I turned around to see my comrades. At doon ko lang napansing nakatingin lang sila sa akin. The other Signs were whispering with each other while suspiciously gazing at me. And even if I couldn’t hear it, I knew that it’s all about me not being a Pure Blood.

     I heard a slow clapping from my region. I searched for the owner and got to know that it was Madame smiling at me together with Raya and Taya. The three clapped for me and after a split of a second the Great Circle was boomed with a deafening sound of claps and cheers.

     “Racchina!” an old maid cheered and I smiled when I realized it was Madame Coring. And there, I was able to at least made a passionate smile.

     It doesn’t matter if the other Signs don’t believe me, as long as I have the people of our region who trust in me. It’s enough, it really is.

     Nagulat na lang ako nang biglang unti-unting naglalaho ang mga tao sa paligid at habang nagyayari ‘yon ay nawawala rin ang mga kasamahan ko sa platform. Bigla ring nawala si Adiya ng Aquarius kasama ang mga ka-Sign niya.

     Where are they up to?

     “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

     My eyes looked at the Bearer of the Archer beside me and then, he already vanished with his comrades.

     What is happeni

The invisible clock in my room kept on ringing, telling me to get up already from sleep. I shoved my face onto my pillow and kept ignoring the sound of the clock in my entire room.

     Ugh! I think I’m already going to be hating magic, this time.

     I shouted indistinct words into the air as if casting a spell to stop the clock but I failed. “Aish!” I complained, irritated and put back the pillow on my face. I really wanted more sleep. Hindi ako sanay na nakukulangan ng tulog. I’ve been up until twelve―or was it until two in the morning?―in the midnight. Right after the introduction that happened in the Great Circle, each Bearer and their comrades were teleported to each castle. At doon na ipinagpatuloy ang kasiyan at kainan.

     The alarm clock kept on ringing, getting louder and louder as if it really wanted me to get up already.

     I screamed, competing with the annoying sound  the alarm clock was giving―and then, it was amazingly gone for good. So, I thought it was a nice spell to stop the sound, wasn’t it? What a nice idea from a Capricorn like me.

     I closed my eyes again, ready for a round-two sleep when a woman’s voice talked inside my head making my eyes to quickly open.

     Gate Key Bearers, your first day of training will start at exactly thirty minutes from now. We will be expecting your presence.

     And . . . that’s it! I couldn’t believe she only allowed thirty minutes. How could I make use of it? I usually took two hours―you know? “Rrr!” I scolded myself and started panicking inside my room. I then washed and after that wore the clothes I picked from my closet.

     I stood up next to the door while still combing my hair, afraid to be late for the first day of training. I threw the comb and it landed right on the . . . floor. “Ugh!” Seemed like accuracy was not my asset. Well . . . “I’ll deal with you later, Mr. Comb,” I said to my comb.

     I turned around to face the door, then sighed to ease my nervousness. I grabbed the doorknob . . . and opened it.

     Here I go . . . and I won’t mess up.

* * *