16'SILVER KEYS

“. . . other than the 13 constellations, mayro’n pa bang iba? At kung mayro’n man . . . nangangahulugan bang may marami pang mga Gate Key?”

     Everyone saw how Narvya smiled. “Such an intelligent question.” Narvya looked at me while I heard Zyke snorted. “My answer?—yes.” And then she clapped her hands and just that, the room became dark again. The surroundings were covered with stars—with different constellations we never have seen in our lives. Napangiti ako. Ang dami nila’t napakaganda.

     “I never thought constellations could be this many,” Drok uttered while looking at the Stars.

     “There are 88 constellations, meaning there are 88 Celestial Spirits as well,” Narvya informed. “Thirteen of those Spirits hold Golden Keys and 74 of them bear Silver Keys.” At that moment, the constellations transformed into Silver Keys leaving the Zodiac constellations above. The Silver Keys descended. It flew in the air at napakarami nila.

     “Ba’t ngayon lang namin nalaman ‘to?” Taru asked. “And why there are only 13 constellations during the nights in Zoidion?”

      Narvya answered, “Only Bearers have the right to know this truth.”

     “Why?” I heard Euai asked.

     “To ensure that the Bearers will rule over the people with supremacy?” I continued, “So no one could use Silver Keys against the Bearers?

     “It’s not the main point, Racchina. And even if Silver Keys exist, the Bearers of those will not stand a chance against the Bearers of Golden Gate Keys,” she explained.

     “What do you mean by exist?” Kases entered the conversation. “Do you mean Silver Keys do not exist?”

     “They exist it’s just that . . . not in Zoidion.”

     “Then where?” my voice was demanding.

     “In Rare World.

     “What’s Rare World?” Taru questioned, her voice was almost a whisper.

     “A world where Rare Bloods live.”

     “Does that exist?” Adiya.

     “It exists,” Narvya assured. “Any question?”

     “Where? Where can it be found?” Xayl’ quickly interrogated.

     “In another dimension. And only a great magician equipped with wisdom can open a portal through the Rare World.

     “I’m sure I wouldn’t wish to be there,” Con said. “I don’t want to see Rare Bloods.”

     I sighed without them knowing. Rare Blood. I’m a Rare Blood and nothing could change that. I drew a breath and let it out slowly and made up myself. Agad namang may portal na nabuo sa ‘di kalayuan and still, it’s made up of dusts. The Silver Keys were slowly dragged into it as if it’s a black hole. Hanggang sa wala ng natirang mga Silver Key. What remained were the Golden ones.

     “Why were they sent to the Rare World?” Zyke casually asked Narvya.

     “Because Queen Arkia intentionally did it. She knew that if her sons and daughters would know that there were more Keys, siguradong magkakagulo na naman. They’d be doing anything just to obtain number of Keys.”

     “One more question,” I blurted and everyone looked at me as the darkness faded as well as the dusts. “If there are 74 Silver Keys and 13 Golden Keys . . . wouldn’t it be equal to 87 Keys and constellations? What’s the . . . other one?”

     Narvya did nothing instead of staring at me for a while, couldn’t believe what she just heard. And when she finally got her voice back, she said, “You mean . . . the 14th Sign?” And upon hearing it, our eyes widened, never thought of the idea of having a 14th Sign. Could it really be possible?

     “What did you say?” Zyke with his frowning forehead.

     “A 14th Sign but its stars already died so it’s Spirit could no longer be summoned. So . . . that’s all for this morning. See you at one o’clock.” Then she already disappeared with her door.

     “What the―14th Sign? 14th Golden Key? Is that possible?” Con blurted. “Hindi na nga ako mapalagay sa ideyang may 13th Sign, 14 pa kaya.”

     “Yea. Nobody wants to destroy the order of Zoidion. No one wants to have 13 regions nor 14. That sucks,” Adiya said, her arms crossed over her chest.

     “Dining hall,” we blurted and then, our doors took us to where we wanted to be.

     “’Chinaaaa!” Suwan greeted as she briskly walked toward me. And when I’m almost an inch from her, she hugged me. “Kumusta?”

     “Okay lang. Ikaw?”

     “Medyo naninibago. Wala ka kasi.”

     “Will you please, stop that?” Natigil na lang kami ni Suwan nang bigla na lang kaming sitahin ni Kuting. Kaya umupo na lang kami at kumain.

     “The discussion was weird, right?” Irgo interrupted the silence. “Rare World. I thought Zoidion is the only world that exists.” Everyone just glanced at him. Kahit ngayon kasi hindi pa rin close ang lahat. Nasanay kasi kami na pinagbabawalang h’wag makipag-usap sa ibang taong may ibang Signs. “I wonder what their world looks like,” he continued.

     “You don’t have to imagine that, you’ll just be wasting your time,” Zyke entered the discussion. “After all, it’s just a world filled up with people with stained bloods.”

     Napatigil naman ako sa pagkain. I somehow felt a spark of indignation in my head. “Ano naman ngayon kung mga Rare Blood sila?” I opened while eating, not looking at everyone.

     “Oo nga,” Suwan concurred. “It means they’re free to talk with each other . . . and love each other.” Suwan smiled before plunging a spoon of rice into her mouth.

     “Yea. Sana gano’n din dito, so I could court you, Suwan,” Con blurted na siya namang dahilan upang mabilaukan si Su’.

     “That wouldn’t happen,” Suwan retorted. “If regions will be merged, I’ll pray it wouldn’t include your Sign.”

     “Ang shakit! Ahk!”

     “You’re right, Suwan,” I entered. “Having only one region would be a great idea.”

     “No it’s not,” Zyke quickly protested. “Do you really want to stain your blood?” he asked while gently slicing the meat on his plate. “The kids might suffer from being Rare. If that will happen, Zoidion’s order will be destroyed.”

     I replied, “But isn’t it a great idea to live with no rules; without laws restricting our freedom?”

     “Who’s with me?” Zyke asked and raised his right hand, telling everyone to do so if they’re with him. Agad ko namang nakita ang pagtaas ng kamay ni Taru. Sinundan naman iyon ni Drok at Con. At sumama na rin sina Gemida, Euai, Irgo at Kases. “So, it leaves Suwan, Adiya and Xayluz with you. You lost.”

     I felt my head boiled. I lost? How come? Hindi ko naman sinabing magbutuhan kami. Ang bobo talaga ng kuting na ‘to.

     “Next time, don’t dream about the impossible, you’ll end up being hurt.” He stood up already.

     “Sometimes, the impossibles are worth dreaming for.”

     “No, it’s not.”

     “Yes, it is.”

* * *