Another Riding one

Three strides out the fiery mare beneath him throws her head and rocks back and forth.
"Easy girl", his words are quiet and soothing as he urges the chocolate mare onwards to the jump.

She charges forward and the leap up and over the huge meter ten log.

When they land she throws a buck and he's quick to halt her.

"Nice! You guys are going so well". He looks over at me, a shy smile on his lips.

"Thanks, your turn", he chuckles.

"No way, I think I'll stick to the smaller ones", I laugh.

I nudge the sides of the chestnut gelding beneath me, clicking with my tongue. He springs forward into a lively trot and I circle him around, asking for canter and aiming at the smaller, eighty five centimetre log beside the other one.

He takes the log quietly and I give him a reassuring pat on the neck.

"Wanna try the water jumps?" He grins at me, his green eyes shining from beneath the black helmet.

I roll my eyes, "Ok, we both know I won't get anywhere with it though".

He laughs and I can't help but giggle, "bloody dressage horses, I swear we should put it to the board that all horses begin basic eventing training first and then branch off", he smiles, nudging the mare beneath him into a trot.

"Wouldn't be so bad", I ask the gelding forwards, following him to the water jump.

It took us twenty minutes to get my gelding into the water, it was a fun twenty minutes though.

We take the horses back and untack, wash down and begin loading the six horses we brought with us.

It doesn't take us long to put the first four on, they're all a little older and relatively used to this kind of routine. However the last two are a pair of four year olds who are beginning a, hopefully long, career in eventing.

They're nothing overly special at the moment, from the same sire and sister dams, they're pure Afghan Warmblood, the gelding a beautiful red bay and the filly a shiny black.

It is takes us a little while to get them into the massive side-load truck but eventually we have the two tied in and quietly munching hay.

I clamber up into the passenger seat of the truck and Flynn jumps into the drivers seat.

He turns the key and the powerful V8 engine roars into life, instantly the Bluetooth connects to my phone, I give him a questioning look as he starts to turn up the volume despite the absence of anything actually playing.

"Slow much? Just pick something" he smirks at me before turning out of the gate and onto the main road.

"Ok ok", I press shuffle on our joint Spotify list and watch the song appear on the trucks digital display.

Immediately we both begin to sing along at the top of our voices to XXXX.

We rock out for an hour as we drive along the highway before turning into the gates of the insanely huge Canberra Equestrian Academy, the huge riding institute slash boarding school we both currently call home.

About a year ago now Flynn and I graduated from an agricultural school in Albany, Western Australia. In our final year of school we had the rare opportunity to audition for one of five places on the Australian Equestrian Team.

Some how we managed to secure two of the five places, the other three places secured by people from other states.

So early this year we packed our bags and our horses and traveled across to Canberra.