Dinner Parties - Rewritten

Aana’s POV –

“Gabby, please get me out of this!” I pleaded. Today was the day of the dinner party and I was dreading it. So I’m stuck in this stupid love triangle and honestly I don’t know who to choose. Jake name and shamed Joe and is in love with me but I slept with Joe. Not sexually but I’m pretty sure the hospital meant something. Let’s just review the situation. Me, my lovers, my friends and their lovers, my parents and my friend’s parents all at a table eating lasagne. My mum thought that if it wasn’t enough her and my dad being there with Jay, the girls’ parents had to come to. Just as I thought it couldn’t get any worse when she told me, she also told me everybody was back from their holidays and were able to attend. It’s now six o’clock which means I should start getting ready and accept the fact that it’s going to happen and I have to be there.

“Aana, it will be fine. All of our parents are going to be there, so you won’t be the only spotlight if my Dad has anything to do with it. Anyway, you have less than an hour. Just pray for outfit choices because this is the first time we haven’t gotten ready as a four. See you.” Gabby said, hanging up on me. I plugged my phone into charge and walked over to my wardrobe, looking for ‘suitable’ attire. I gave up and went for a black lace Bodycon and black wedges. I quickly showered and quiffed my hair, fishtailing the rest. I really wasn’t in the mood for makeup but my mother had kindly reminded me that I needed it so I was forced to apply eye liner and mascara. It was about five to seven and the doorbell had started to ring so apparently I was on door duty and had to let everyone in. The girls had all arrived first with their parents. I greeted and hugged everyone and waited for the guys. I was close with all of the girls’ parents because we all basically lived together so I didn’t have to fake the small talk. Jake was already here with Jay and I’m pretty sure they were plotting something. I did talk to him for a second telling him Joe was coming but as soon as he heard me say it he glared and walked away. Now I’m pretty sure that wasn’t the first he had heard of it if Jay had anything to do with it. I grabbed a cocktail off the counter and quickly downed it, knowing I was going to need it to keep the edge off.

“Girls, maximum three cocktails each. There’s coke in the fridge.” Lottie’s mum,winked, grabbing one herself and walking back into the dining room. I laughed and nodded.

“Aana stop stressing, it will be fine!” Ron smiled reassuringly, squeezing my shoulder and walking into the dining room along with everyone else. I nodded and walked back to the door to meet Mark, Nate and Joe. I have to say they do clean up good. They were all wearing suits and had styled their hair. I muttered a quick good luck and lead them into the dining room. Once I had got everyone’s attention, I smiled and began to introduce them.

“Guys, this is Nate Hylton. Lottie’s boyfriend. This is Mark Cavell, Gabby’s fiancé and this is Joe Luxton, a friend.” I smiled, leaving the boys to do their greetings and making my way to the cocktails.

“Jesus Aana, slow down.” I spun round to meet Jake’s gaze. He shot me a disappointed look and snatched the glass from my hand, downing the rest.

“What the fuck was that for Weaver?”

“Aana, we haven’t even sat down to eat yet and you’ve downed a load. Just deal with the fact you lead me on then left me for Luxton. It’s not my fault you can’t keep your hormones intact.” Jake spat, slamming the glass on the table and fully glaring on me.”

“Don’t be so jealous! I never freaking lead you on. I nearly killed the guy; it doesn’t mean I fucked him.” I shot back, pushing past him and walking back inside. Everyone had taken their seats at the table. My mum had made little place cards and dotted them round the table. I don’t know if she was being sneaky or it was a coincidence that she had placed Jake and Joe next to each other, opposite me. I’m just glad I had Gabby and Lottie either side of me. Gabby gave me a reassuring nod and continued to act engaged in the conversation about holidays.