Boiling Blood - REWRITTEN

Gabby’s P.O.V

“Bye Mum.” I smiled, climbing out of the car and walking up to the school. I tried persuading her to drop me after P.E had finished but she just ignored me and here I am. I sighed entered the automatic doors. As much as I would love to run away, I knew that wasn’t a choice so I continued to make my way towards the reception.

“Lovely to see you Gabriella, where were you?” Miss Lane croaked. Miss Lane was our school reception, glasses and a black bob, who I must say, was the equivalent to the Grinch. Yet her mood, never changed. All she does is sit at the receptionist and question everybody who walks in even a second late.

“Miss, I did give in a letter, which you accepted.” Cocking my head to meet her gaze, I lifted my eyebrows and turned to walk to the gym. To my surprise (note the sarcasm) the changing room doors were your locked and I didn’t fancy going to ask Crofty for a key, so I can get a lecture. I peeked around the corner, into the gym, watching Aana in the corner, attempting to turn. Chuckling to myself, I scanned the courtyard and rolled into action. Aware that any minute, anybody could come into sight, I stripped down to my bra and pants and threw on my kit.  Thank God, nobody came out. I don’t know what gave me the balls to strip with no doors. The corridor outside the gym had all glass windows and doors. It was a miracle nobody saw me or would have been seriously screwed, not to mention embarrassed.  I quickly checked into the gym again, Aana was now on the bench, so I figured she must have lost. I stuffed my clothes into my bag on the side, draped my blazer on top and made my way inside.

The class was in the middle of a game, so I shot a quick, cheeky wink to Aana and sped to the man, who was in a wheelchair, at the side of the court, watching the players and shouting support. He looked mid-thirties and annoyed with the game. They obviously weren’t playing up to scratch.

“Hi Sir, I’m Gabriella sorry I’m late. I was at the Doctor’s so I missed the start of the lesson.” I mumbled, staring at my feet, slightly intimidated by his stern face, which soon turned to a smile.

“Ah, hi Gabby, my name’s John, this is my wife Linda and one of my students, Mark.” I quickly smiled to Linda and then to Mark, who seemed really nice. Mark was in a wheelchair, instructing the rest of the class, his shabby brown hair; slightly covered his forehead and his muscles were in full view through his white Adidas t-shirt.

John quickly explained all of the rules to me and set me into Blue group, who were just about to start a new game. I quickly hurried to a chair, catching up with the others; at least Ellie was in my group! I familiarised myself the chair and tried it out, barely listening to what Mark was saying. The halls sound suddenly rose. I looked up and around, but they were just talking, probably discussing something Mark had instructed. I turned to meet Ellie, but she obviously wasn’t listening either because she was aimlessly rolling around the hall.

“What’s your name?” my body jumped as I turned to meet Mark. He looked annoyed and tired.

“Erm Gabby” I replied.

“Well Gabby, I’d appreciate if you could listen when I’m trying to explain the instructions and before you challenge my accusation, may I ask you, what my instructions were?” He grinned. My blood boiled and my fists clenched. This man was asking for a slap. I hadn’t realised the game was still going on and I was cornered at the side.

“If you know I wasn’t listening and you know I don’t know the instructions, why are you still asking me? And before YOU answer my question, which you probably won’t, please can you move your head away from my face!” My eyes were dark and cold and my face was still and straight. I don’t think he realised the small distance he was away from my face. I coughed, making my anger known and he wheeled away.

“OK Guys, to start the game you have to get into your teams and return to your side of the court. The first person to touch my wheel is the winner.” Mark shouted.

The adrenaline boomed throughout my body, causing my arms to rotate in a circular movement, causing the chair to blast to Mark’s chair, which was located in the middle of the court. I felt I needed to prove something to Mark, to show him, he cannot mess with me. I was buzzing and I could hear Lottie cheering. Mark grinned at me, and then turned to Lana, the girl on the other side.

“AND THE RED TEAM WINS!” he cheered. Was this guy crazy?

“ERM EXCUSE ME MARK! I WAS CLEARY FREAKING HERE BEFORE HER!” I screamed, inches away from his face. One half of his mouth rose and his annoying voice started again.

“Sorry Gabby, but you didn’t touch the wheel. I guess next time; you should listen to the instructions.” I don’t think he was completely oblivious to the fact that I was close to smacking the shit out of him. “OK, so red team wins, to your sides, girls. First team to five baskets, WIN!” He smiled.

I raced back to our side and was ready to crash this asshole. When the whistle screeched, I pushed myself forward towards the middle of the court, hijacking the ball and moving towards the basket. Two more pushes away from the basket and the commotion got the best of me, the minute I turned my head, I was bashed to the side and was stripped of the ball. I looked around the gym as the cheering was immense, and that’s when I noticed, Mark had been the culprit.

After bashing into me every time I was close to scoring, he would just wink and move away. What was his problem? The game finished once he had taken the ball to the opposite’s team basket and they had scored for the fifth time. He looked at me with what seemed to be a genuine but weak smile. I shot him my mad look and turned towards Aana and Lottie, who were repeatedly winking at me. Confusion travelled around my head as I took a seat on the bench, trying to not look at Mark, although his eyes were placed on me the whole time, it was like he was studying me.

John asked if we had any questions and answered any we did have. He persuaded Mark into showing us the punishment, John’s students received if their training wasn’t up to the standards he expected. Mark moved to the back of the court and furiously started to wheel back and forth, occasionally looking up at the audience. My heart pounced for him and the other students who were made to do this. Aana told me he was made to another activity like that earlier and it was amazing.

It was coming towards the end of the lesson and John had begun to explain some of the things about Wheelchair Basketball to me.

“So, Mark is part of a junior team with some other guys and I think it would be great if he told you about that and his accident.” John smiled, nodding at Mark.

“Hi Guys, So I’m Mark and I’m part of the junior team at our centre. So there’s me and some other guys planning to be submitted for the 2020 Olympics. So when I was younger, I took part in skateboarding and parkour. So in one of the competitions I did something to my leg, it wasn’t worth the complications so I had it amputated. There are loads of things which I want to do but the wheelchair doesn’t allow me to. So I discovered the basketball which became one of my favourite things to do and took my mind of the things I couldn’t do.” He explained causing everyone to sit there in awe. When he was done and John had also finished telling us everything he wanted us to know, the lesson had finally finished.  We said Thank you, and left the gym. I hurried to Aana and Lottie, high fiving them.

“Whoa, what was all that, Mabby?” Aana grinned, winking at me.

“What was what? What’s Mabby? Gabby mumbled.

“Mabby. Mark and Gabby. We ship you.” Lottie joined.

“Whatever, he’s world’s biggest arse.” I scowled, stamping towards the doors. The gym was empty except from us three. A stern arm grabbed me and pulled me to the side of the gym.

“Aana kanye not.” Turning my head around, glaring.

“Erm Gabby, its Mark. I just wanted to say you really good.” He smiled.

“Err thanks.” I groaned.