Chapter 18 - Meeting the Team

We walked on to the court, staring at each other intently. I took in all of his features. Long brown hair. Muscular build. Above average height, about 20 cm taller than me. Brown eyes. His legs looked quite strong. Seems like his strength lies in agility.

I smirked.

Same as me.

I stepped into place, ready for action.

"Oi! Subaru! Come here and throw the ball up for us!"

Subaru followed the boy's orders and ran towards us with the ball.

"Ready?" he looked at me seriously.

"Ready as I'll ever be."

He nodded for Subaru to start.

He held the ball in between me and the boy. I closed my eyes and breathed out slowly, drowning out the shouts from the basketball team and all other irrelevant noises. I opened them, my concentration on the ball.

And then the ball was in the air. I leapt, but my opponent got the ball before me. I landed back on my feet and chased after him as he ran with the ball. I got in front of him and forced him to stop, but he faked a left and ran past my right. I swerved around and managed to hit the ball, and it slipped away from him. I lunged for it and managed to dribble it to the basket. I lined up for the shot and released the ball.

Then he appeared in front of me and grabbed the ball.

He ran to the other side of the court, and I dashed after him, barely keeping his pace. He quickly shot at the hoop and the ball went flying to the net. I pelted to the basket and leapt, my finger only just managing to touch the ball, causing it to hit the ring, and fall back down to the court. But landed on my feet, he took the ball and lined up another shot.

I jumped again, but realised he wasn't aiming for the hoop. The ball flew over the basket and passed by my left. While I was still landing from my previous jump, he appeared, dunking the ball into the hoop.

I stared at the ball as it bounced down on the court a few times, then stopped altogether.

"Guess.. That means... I win," he gasped between breaths.

I held my hand out. "Good game," I smiled as he shook my hand. "I hope I get to play against you again, Senpai."

"I look forward to it," he grinned. "I'm Rin Sakamoto."

"Yui Hinata."

"You're pretty damn fast for such a little girl," Rin teased.

I pushed him playfully. "Oh shush. Just 'cause you're a freaking giant."

He laughed.

Subaru and the rest of the basketball team came to us. The captain gave me a rough pat on the back. "Wow, Blondie, you're amazing." A bunch of the other members commended my skill.

"Thank you, thank you," I bowed. "My skills are amazing, are they not?"

"You're a confident one, I'll give you that much!" the captain laughed and ruffled my hair. "Subaru, how'd you manage to snag a girl like this?"

I was curious to hear how Subaru would react to I stayed silent.

"Um... She's... M-my sister," Subaru said, sounding a little reluctant, which puzzled me.

"So does that mean she's available?" said Rin mockingly, but he also sounded a little hopeful.

I laughed and suddenly I realised something. I grabbed the captain's arm and looked at his watch as he gaped at me.

"Oh no, Subaru! It's 5:40!" I hadn't realised how quickly time had passed. I rushed to Subaru's bag and stuffed his things into it. "We're gonna be late for Sora's match!" I've never been late to Sora's matches and I don't intend to start now!

I ran back to the team and bowed. "Thank you for the match, Rin-senpai. It was nice meeting all of Subaru's teammates. I hope we get to meet again soon!" I ran to Subaru and grabbed his hand, pulling him with me. "Bye!"

I heard the captain call behind me. "You're welcome any time!"

I smiled and kept running, Subaru falling into pace with me.

After a while of running, we reached the stadium. "We're here!" I panted and looked at the time. It was 5:50. We'd been running for 10 minutes straight. Subaru didn't even complain once.

I turned to him and he was looking down at the ground, his face quite pink. "Something the matter?"

"M-my hand," he said quietly.

I looked at his hand and realised I was holding it. I quickly pulled my hand back, shuffling on my feet. "S-sorry."

"It's f-fine."

"Uh, let's go inside and meet up with the team," I said as I made my way to the stadium entry, avoiding eye contact.

"Sure..." Subaru replied and followed me.

As we were walking down the hall, I saw a familiar head of black hair. I ran to him and called his name. As he turned around, I threw my arms around him.

"Yui?"

"I'm really sorry I'm late. I'm really really really sorry," I said and hugged him tighter.

He wrapped his arms around me gently, pushing my head into his chest and placing his head lightly on mine. "It's okay, thanks for coming."

I nodded and we were both silent, embracing eachother.

"Try not to enjoy yourself too much there," Sora teased. I pulled back, my face burning.

Someone poked me lightly on the cheek. I put my hand to my cheek and looked to see Kai and the rest of Sora's teammates grinning at me.

My face broke into a smile. "Kai. Everyone! How've you guys been? Was my absence too much for you all to bear?"

They all laughed. "Oh how I've missed that face," Arata said quietly and everyone nodded.

"Oh stop it, you're making me blush," I said bashfully. "So, are we psyched up for today's game?!"

"Yeah!" they all shouted in unison.

"I'll be cheering you guys on so you better win!" I said and put my fist out.

They all placed their fists against mine.

"Right!"

With that, they all made their way to the court and Subaru and I went to our seats.

Well, Subaru sat down. I went right to the railings and cheered the team as loudly as I could.

I threw a quick glance to Subaru who was watching the game intently and a small smile made its way onto his face.

I could tell.

He was excited too.