Chapter 37 - Returning Favours

I heard footsteps in the hallway. A door nearby opened and closed and I figured it was Azusa. Shortly after, I heard some more footsteps. These ones were softer and a little hard to make out. Like with Azusa, a door opened and closed. This room sounded even further away than Azusa's, and the footsteps made it easy to identify the person as Ema.

I listened for the next pair of footsteps - Tsubaki's - but no sound came. I sat at my desk, working on some revision for my classes. I half-read each of the questions, listening carefully for him. After a few minutes, I found that I had abandoned my work and was listening intently to any form of sound coming from the hallway.

After half an hour, there had still been no sign of him. I stepped out of my room, going to Ema's. I knocked and she promptly answered. "Hey Yui," she said with a smile.

I wasn't going to tiptoe around the matter. "Ema, have you seen Tsubaki?"

"He said he had something to take care of," she said, with a little concern.

I stayed nice and cheerful to avoid her getting even more worried. "Thanks, I'll see you later then!" I waved and headed back to my room. I pulled a coat and scarf out of my closet, and headed to the elevator. I pulled on the coat and slipped my phone into the pocket as I did so. I wrapped the scarf lazily around my neck as the elevator doors opened. I stepped in, pressing the button for the last floor. As the elevator began its descent, I considered where Tsubaki could have gone.

The doors opened and I stepped out, without having managed to determine a specific place to search. I slipped on my shoes, fastening their laces. I stood in front of the door, a little reluctant to go out into the cold. But right now, not going wasn't much of an option. Taking a deep breath, I opened the door and stepped out into the chilly night.

I wandered around for a while, looking for him at places like the park and convenience stores, but didn't see him anywhere. I continued searching as the night grew colder, tucking my hands into my pockets and burying my face in my scarf.

I was just about to turn back and wait for him to come home on his own, when I saw a familiar head of white hair. He was leaning on the fencing, overlooking a large lake. His shoulders were slumped and he looked resigned.

I approached him, dirt and leaves crunching beneath my feet, when I reached a reasonable distance and was standing behind him, I stopped. He turned around and mustered a small smile when he saw me. He lifted himself off the fencing and walked to me. He hung his head and I couldn't see his eyes, but with his hunched shoulders and morose aura, I could feel all the sadness he was bottling up inside. He stopped right in front of me and dropped his forehead on my shoulder.

Tsubaki had taken care of me all those times I'd had nightmares, and now it was my turn to take care of him. I wrapped my arms around him and we stood like that for a while. I searched for something to say to him, but nothing seemed right. I mean, who was I to say anything anyway? I can't carelessly say I understand how he's feeling right now, because I don't.

I felt him pull away slightly, which was my cue to let go. I did, and he stepped back. He still looked rather sad. He looked as if he was about to say something, but he abandoned it quickly and embraced me. I hugged him back, hoping he would feel more secure. He wrapped his arms around me even tighter, as if to make sure I was really there.

The pressure was a bit too much for me though. "Tsubaki, it hurts," I said quietly, but loud enough to be audible. He loosened his grip.

He gave a muffled "sorry".

It was the first thing he'd said in a while, and I felt a pang in my heart. I miss hearing Tsubaki's voice. "Tsubaki... Please say something."

He didn't speak.