Chapter 28 - My Best Friend: Part 3

After a while, Sora came downstairs, smiling brightly, greeting everyone. The brothers returned his greetings gladly. He sat down next to me, the brothers now going back to their conversations, and I looked at my hands awkwardly. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Sora glance at me and frown. He suddenly ruffled my hair. "I'm sorry. Please don't be upset."

I nodded. "For that, you owe me a cake. And a big, proper cake. Not those tiny cupcakes that you buy because you're a cheapskate."

He laughed. "Okay, okay. I'll take you out for cake one day. How's that sound?"

"Sounds fantastic," I grinned. That means I'll get to see him again.

We both got up to leave and said goodnight to the brothers. As we finished and were about to head up the stairs, Tsubaki called us. He'd come up with a rather nice idea. 

"How about we bring a whole bunch of futons here and watch some movies? We'll camp out in the living room!" He seemed very proud of his idea.

I thought about it a little, and the more I considered it, the more it sounded like a wonderful idea. I looked at Sora for approval and he was grinning, his eyes sparkling. He was definitely on board. "That sounds like an awesome idea, Tsuba-chan. I'll grab some futons, you go tell everyone else. Sora can go with you too."

"Yes, maam!" Sora saluted and went off with Tsubaki. Azusa, who also liked the idea, helped me take out the futons. Masaomi and Ukyo apologised, saying they'd prefer to sleep in their own rooms tonight, and left.

We placed the futons in a pile next to the sofa, so that everyone could place theirs wherever they wanted. Tsubaki and Sora still hadn't come back yet so I started making popcorn. I also put some glasses on the table, along with bottles of drinks and any chocolates or such I could find in the kitchen.

Azusa helped me out, and I asked him about how work was going. He told me about an anime that he was doing and about how it was a very demanding job, but it was really fun, too. We set up the TV and got the DVDs out, then sat down on the sofa, waiting for everyone to arrive.

Soon enough, Sora and Tsubaki arrived with Wataru, Subaru and Iori. Ema was too tired for it, Sora reported. Wataru looked really excited and jumped on the couch, ready for the movie. I fanned out the DVDs and asked everyone what they wanted to watch. The majority vote was for an action movie where the protagonist gets framed for a murder that he didn't commit and is on the run from the police. We all sat on the couch and started the movie, indulging ourselves on the small feast I'd prepared.

It was quite late when the movie finished. Tsubaki and Sora were still full of energy, which wasn't all that surprising. Wataru had fallen asleep on Subaru, who was fighting to keep his eyes open. Iori and Azusa were also rather quite.

Tsubaki rummaged through the DVDs for the next movie and was discussing it with Sora. I laid four futons out in the dark as best I could. I picked up Wataru gently and placed him on the futon, placing the blanket over him. He stirred and opened his eyes a little.

"Thank you... onee-chan," he said drowsily. He was so adorable I could see why Masaomi and all the other brothers doted on him so much.

I pet his head and he closed his eyes again slowly. "You're welcome, Wataru-chan. Sleep well."

I left him and went to Subaru, who didn't notice me at all as he was slowly dozing off. "Suba-chan?"

"Huh?" He jumped a little.

"I laid out a futon for you, do you want to sleep?" He looked conflicted, but nodded. "Want me to help?"

"N-no. I'm fine." He got up slowly and staggered to the futon, laying down and covering himself with the blanket, falling asleep almost as he was doing it. I sat down next to Iori and Azusa and they both glanced at me.