Chapter 13 - Troubles

"Akito, how did you know this was a boy's blazer?" I inquired.

"Apart from the fact that it's too big for you, the cologne's pretty damn strong."

I laughed. "But at least it smells nice."

I dabbed at my eyes with my sleeves as he stroked my hair. "I've never seen someone so happy to have brothers. I have two younger brothers and I'd trade 'em in any day."

"So Akito is an onii-chan? I bet you're a really good brother."

"Yui, kinda sounds like you're friendzoning me over there," he said, wincing as if I'd given him a physical blow.

"Sorry," I said. I don't want to lead him on, but I don't know how to handle situations like these, so I just say sorry and move on. It usually works.

Akito looked at his watch. "We should probably be heading to class right about now. Don't want to be late, do we?"

"Indeed we do not," I said and packed away my lunch box.

As Akito and I stood up and started making our way to our classroom, Yoshida-kun appeared in front of us.

"Heeeyy, Yoshida!" Akito smiled and waved. Yoshida-kun looked at him briefly then narrowed his eyes at me. I took a wary step back.

"Do you need some-" Akito began, but Yoshida-kun suddenly grabbed my arm and pulled me with him. I tried to pull back, but he was too strong.

"Yui!" Akito grabbed my other arm, sensing my fear. Yoshida-kun stopped and turned around to face him.

"Let go," he said angrily. I saw the look in his eyes. I can't let this happen again. I don't want anyone else to get hurt by him.

I looked at Akito and put on a fake smile. "I'll be back soon, kay? Don't wait up for me, you can go to class."

His grip loosened and he looked at me, confused. "O...kay. As long as you're okay with it..."

Yoshida-kun pulled me and Akito's hand slipped off my arm. "I'll be fine. Don't stress, dude." I gave him a thumbs up as I was pulled around the corner.

Yoshida-kun pulled me for a while, not saying a word. We eventually reached the roof of the school. He released my hand forcefully and glared at me with such intensity that I started backing away from him. As I stepped back, he did too, and I soon found myself backed up against the wall. He continued glaring at me and slammed his hand on the wall next to my head.

I closed my eyes in fright and faced away from him, trembling.

"Look at me."

I stayed as I was, jumping a little at his cold voice.

"Look. At. Me," he said again.

I opened my eyes and slowly met his. He seemed less angry, but he still glared at me with massive intensity.

"Nice... Weather we're having?" I squeaked.

He continued to stare, unamused.

His hand fell to the collar of Tsubaki's blazer, which I was still wearing. "Whose is this?"

I mustered up all the courage I had. "It's none of your business," I said as I trembled.

He looked hurt as soon as the words came out of my mouth, but in a second, he was smiling his sadistic smile.

"We're doing that again, are we?" He took my chin in his hands and tilted my face up so that his eyes were looking directly into mine. "Do I need to use... Other methods... To find out?"

My eyes suddenly flashed with images of Sora, bloody and bruised, collapsing at my front door. Only this time, it was Akito.

"Tsubaki's... It's Tsubaki's..." I whispered.

"That's a good girl. Now, who's Tsubaki?"

"My... brother."

His smile fell away.

"Since when do you have a brother? If you're going to lie, punishment can be arranged. Nobody likes a liar."

I panicked. "No! He's really my brother! Dad's getting married! My new Mum has lots of sons!"

He released me, turning around and taking a few steps. "Ahhh, you've changed since last time we met Yui-chan."

"People change."

He smiled back at me. He almost looked sad. "They do."

"I'm different from then."

He laughed, amused. "How so?"

"I'm not going to let you hurt them. Not Ema, not Akito, not any of my brothers. And definitely not Sora. I'll protect him this time, and everyone else dear to me."

"This new, brave, fiesty Yui. I like her," he grinned.

"You've changed too," I said without thinking. He looked intrigued.

"Do go on."

"Back then. When we were younger. We were friends, were we not?"

"We were."

"I remember I fell down the stairs and you carried me to the nurse's office."

He smiled. "Quite the charmer, I was. I knew what I wanted."

"You were so nice," I continued as if he hadn't spoken.

"Oh the compliments you give."

"Then you hurt Sora."

His smile faltered. "Quite a challenge, that was."

"Why?"

He looked at his feet and walked towards the door, ignoring my question.

"Why?" I asked again.

He put his hand on the handle and stood there. He turned around to look at me. He looked as if his heart would break.

"Because I didn't want to be forgotten."

I don't know what I was expecting, but that definitely wasn't it.

He opened the door and walked down the stairs.

I collected myself and followed soon afterwards, still trying to process what Yoshida-kun had said.

Akito met my eyes as I entered the classroom. I smiled as if I didn't have a care in the world.

But that was far, far from true.