Chapter 5 - Present, Past and Future

We all gathered in the living room. I stared at the couch. It was huge. I pointed at it, gaping, then glanced behind me, making eye contact with Masaomi. He smiled gently, obviously not understanding me at all. I turned around and walked to the couch, sitting between Masaomi and the pretty boy with grey hair, who'd introduced himself as Iori. Ema was sitting between Wataru and Kaname.

Iori looked to Ema and me. "Were you surprised? Since your amount of siblings suddenly increased."

Ema and I both smiled. "Well, our father told us, but it was still quite overwhelming," she said.

"But having brothers is great!" I added, smiling.

All the brothers laughed happily.

Tsubaki laughed a little. "So cute~" he said, grinning to himself. Azusa sighed at Tsubaki's comment.

Wataru spoke up, "I'm so glad I have two new big sisters now! Let's go play, I have a big rabbit toy in my room!" He tugged on Ema's arm and looked to her, then me eagerly.

"Wataru, leave that for later," Masaomi ordered gently.

Wataru reluctantly agreed, pouting, and leaned back onto Masaomi.

"There are still other brothers. Two live separately and the other two are at work," Kaname said. "One of them is here," he added, taking the remote from the table and switching on the television. The screen displayed a boy that looked about my age performing at a concert.

"Such a fake smile," Tsubaki commented distastefully.

The boy's face looked oddly familiar. I squinted at his face. "Wait a minute, isn't that Fuu-chan?!" I said, putting a name to the face. Everyone turned to me, slightly shocked.

"You know him?!" Yusuke exclaimed.

"Yeah, for a while, too," I replied casually.

"Ehh, how do you know Fuu-tan?" Wataru inquired. I looked to Ema, seated beside him, and even she was a bit taken aback.

And so, I told them the story of how I met Fuuto.

I walked down the street to the CD shop, excited to get my favourite band's newest album. I found the CD and was walking to the cashier when some guy with blonde hair pushed past this boy who was wearing shades and had his bangs pinned back.

The force caused Shades to drop the CDs he was was holding. He yelled at Blondie and it looked like they were about to throw down in the shop so I pulled him away from the guy and settled things down.

When I was picking up Shades's CDs, I saw that there was a tonne of my favourite band's albums there.

"Are you a fan too?!" I exclaimed.

The scowl on his face disappeared and his face brightened up. "Yeah, aren't they amazing?!"

We bought drinks and hung out for a while and it turned out we had tonnes in common. He told me his name was Fuuto and gave me his number.

I finished telling them the story and Yusuke asked, "How do you even get along with that guy?" He had a look of disgust on his face and it was clear that he didn't like Fuuto very much.

I faintly heard Masaomi talking to Ema. "Oh, he's pretty cool actually, when you hang around with him for a while, you-"

BANG.

Everyone looked to the source of the noise and I saw Ema leaning down, her hand on the table for support. Masaomi kneeled down beside her and felt her head and I flew to her side. I looked at Masaomi, worried.

"She has a fever," he said seriously. I gasped.

"Quick, get her medicine or something. I'll take her to her room," I ordered, pulling Ema onto my back, and rushed up the stairs, but gently so as not to jostle her. A few of the brothers went to fetch things, the others followed me.

I ran to her room, telling the boys to wait outside, and closed the door, quickly getting Ema to change into her bedclothes. She sat on the bed and I lifted her legs onto the bed. She laid down and I covered her with a blanket. I opened the door and Masaomi came in to check her temperature.

"I'll be okay now. Thank you very much," Ema said, giving a weak smile.

Ukyo was closing the curtains. "In the worst case, we do have a physician."

"Even if it is just a paediatrician," Masaomi added.

I went to pick up Ema's school uniform, which I'd thrown on the floor in my haste to get her into her bedclothes. It'd be best if I left. When you're feeling sick, a crowd of people can be overwhelming, and the last thing I want to do is upset her. "I'm going to go wash these," I said, holding the clothes up. Everyone nodded.

I smiled at Ema and lightly said, "I'll be back soon." I turned and walked out the door just as a man with long ash brown hair tied partially in a side ponytail was about to enter the room. He was wearing a blue jacket with white polka dots over black and white undershirts with purple pants. He looks very kind. He stared at me, almost longingly as I walked past him. The expression puzzled me.

I went to my room, which was just down the hall. I changed and added the clothes I'd just worn to the pile of clothes I was going to wash. I changing into my sleeping clothes, which was a pair of pink pants with white stars and a white tank top.

I entered the hallway to see Tsubaki leaning on the wall. He threw me a smile. He looked me up and down and averted his gaze a little. "Ne, Yui-chan, you look so cute I don't think I can take it."

"It should be a crime to possess a face as beautiful as this," I smiled, sighing as if it was a burden to have a pretty face. Tsubaki laughed. I walked to him and leaned my shoulder against the wall next to him. "So how may I assist thou presently?"

"I heard tell that Lady Yui was planning to make a trip to the laundry. I also heard that she would require an escort, as she is quite unfamiliar with this home. Hearing that, I immediately volunteered to be your guide," he said, bowing. He stood up straight again and smiled at me seductively. I straightened up.

He leaned in to my ear and whispered. "I was also excited to see you again, and as your guide, I'll be able to see you a lot more often."

I felt his breath on the side of my face and shivered. My heart started racing and my cheeks warmed up. I looked down and willed for my face to cool down. Tsubaki lifted his face and swerved behind me, placing each of his hands on one of my shoulders.

Upon his touch, I lifted my head. "The laundry is right down this way..." he said, gently yet firmly pushing my shoulders, guiding me.

I managed to calm my heart and pulled away from his grip. I spun and faced him. "No, no, Tsuba-chan, I can walk on my own," I said playfully and lightly flicked his nose. He flinched a little and grinned.

He walked ahead. "So the laundry is this way," he slowed, waiting for me to catch up.

I exhaled deeply. Definitely going to have to watch out for Tsubaki. I jogged to his side and we walked on in silence.