Chapter 19 - Why'd We Get Sweatbands, Anyway?

I watched all the members of Sora's team play.

I frowned as I noticed Arata flinch a little when he landed on his right foot after slamming in a dunk. Kasuka's arm strength seems to have lessened too. Shin's aim is off. Sora's gotten faster. Kai's gotten better at dribbling too.

I took a mental note on everyone's performance to talk about it with them after the match.

The match was tough. We were only just matching the other team's score. I watched anxiously as the minutes went by. I'd been watching the game so intently, and was shocked to see that the timer showed that there were only 2 minutes left till the end of the game.

I saw Subaru lean in from the corner of my eye. As a fellow basketball player, he knows how intense the last couple of minutes of the game are.

We were only 2 points behind, and everyone was giving it their all. It was a desparate fight for the possession of the ball. With 6 seconds left, Shin just managed to score a three-pointer, giving us a one point lead over the other team. But then everyone relaxed. Why are you guys relaxing?! The game's not over, don't drop your defences!

Subaru ran up to the railing beside me and we both watched in horror as the other team took the ball and zoomed it to the other side of the court.

3 seconds.

Their shooter lined up a shot and tossed the ball.

2 seconds.

The ball hit the ring and began rolling around the hoop.

1 second.

The ball leaned in to the hoop.

Then, out of nowhere, a figure appeared in front of the hoop and hit the ball away from the basket.

The ball hit the ground.

The buzzer sounded.

The figure looked me in the eye and smiled, giving a thumbs up.

I smiled back.

I knew I could count on you...

Sora.

I left the railing and pelted down the stairs and to the court. Everyone lined up and bowed, then clustered together, celebrating the win.

I ran to them and threw my arms around them all. "You guys won!"

They all cheered for Sora's massive save and I joined in as the team held him on their shoulders. Everyone finally calmed down and went to get drinks. I stood in front of Arata as he walked to his bag and looked at him seriously. Sora noticed this and nudged him with his elbow.

"Oooohhh, busted!"

I ignored Sora's jeers. "You going to explain or...?"

Arata sighed and sat down. "I fell down the stairs at school last week and sprained my ankle."

I took hold of his shoe and looked at Arata. "May I?"

Sora, still hanging around decided to comment. "Mmmm, smelly, sweaty feet. Can't get enough of that aroma."

I continued looked at Arata, undeterred by Sora's comment.

He nodded embarassedly and I removed his shoe and examined his foot. I prodded it in certain places and at some points, he would flinch. When I was done, I gave a sigh of relief.

"Your foot should be fine with some rest. Thank goodness you didn't ruin any of your muscles. But no basketball for 4 days okay?"

He smiled appreciatively. "Thanks, Yui."

I gave a peace sign. "Just doing my thing."

I stood up on a bench and clapped to gain everyone's attention. "Gather around, young ones, there is discussion to be had."

I stepped down and everyone gathered in front of me.

"Kasuka?" I called.

"Hai," he responded and stepped forward.

"Your arms have weakened a little. Try to fit in extra exercises to build them up."

He nodded and stepped back.

"Shin?"

He stepped forward.

"Practise your shots more. Your aim is off."

He nodded and stepped back.

I went through this process with basically all the players.

"Kai - your dribbling has improved. Keep it up."

"Takeshi - very fancy footwork you had going."

"Masato - practise your passing."

I finished commenting and took a deep breath.

"I have someone to introduce all of you to." I looked at Subaru, who'd been standing on the side silently. He walked up beside me awkwardly.

"It's her new boyfriend!" Sora shouted out and there was a mixture of responses. Disappointment, shock, jealousy and celebration.

But above all, I could hear Sora laughing in the background.

Subaru looked down and said nothing.

I facepalmed and calmed everyone down.

"Nobody listen to Sora. He's an idiot and was likely dropped as a child."

He grinned smugly. "Oh stop it, your compliments are simply too much."

I sighed and continued.

"I haven't been around recently because my dad's getting remarried so we moved into the family's house. This bundle of joy on my left is Subaru, one of my new brothers."

"Hey, doesn't he look familiar?" Kai commented.

"Subaru plays for Meiji," I informed.

"Whhaaaatttt?!"

Arata and Shin appeared by my side, Kai and Takeshi in front of me.

"He's the enemy then, right?" "We'll protect you!"

I laughed. "Guys, it's okay, he's fine."

They looked at me, uncertain.

I smiled to reassure them and they reluctantly parted.

We all talked for a bit longer, Subaru included, but it got late so we all started leaving.

"Wait!" I shouted, remembering something.

They all turned to me.

"Never give up on the ball. Whether you're ahead or behind. Don't ever give up."

They nodded and went on their way.

Sora ran to me and ruffled my hair. "Still linking everyone together, I see."

I fixed my hair as he jogged off to the exit. Right before he opened to door, he stopped. He met my eyes and held up his wrist. "Why'd we get sweatbands, anyway?" he called.

I held up mine. "I don't know, but I bet no one else will have something as cool as this."

He nodded, satisfied, and left.

I felt really happy.

Even though we haven't seen each other in a while. Things are still the same. And everything will be fine!

But I knew this was a lie.

Things have changed. And they'll keep changing. Sora knows it, I know it.

Because we only ever ask each other the "why'd we get sweatbands?" question when we know we're drifting apart.