Chapter 16 - Consideration

After the incident with Subaru, I'd left his present by his door. Since he was drunk, and I also had no idea where he'd disappeared to, leaving it for him to find when he was sober seemed like the best option.

I reflected on what I'd said to Subaru. I think I should feel a little guilty for what I said, but I just can't bring myself to regret my words. I drifted to sleep on that thought.

I woke up 5:58 am. My alarm was usually set for 6. I contemplated getting up, but that felt like some kind of betrayal to my lovely alarm clock, that woke me up every day. "You wonderful, wonderful piece of technology," I said to it, stroking it.

Suddenly, it began ringing. I totally freaked out and fumbled with the clock. It slipped out of my hands and went sailing to the floor. I jumped after it, but it hit the floor quickly and smashed into quite a few pieces. Then I hit the floor too with a loud thud.

My face hit the floor be precise. My legs were still tangled in my blanket, so I was hanging half-on, half-off the bed, my face slammed into the floor. I lifted my face and stared at my alarm clock. Can I fix that? Maybe if I used enough duct tape?

I slid onto my knees in front of the alarm clock, picking up the pieces and cradling them in my arms. I stroked the pieces gently.

"He was a good alarm clock. I remember all those times you woke me up for school excursions and events. That time where I forgot to set the alarm but magically, you still rung. It was nice having you around..." I was getting a little choked up as someone knocked on the door. "You can come in, the door's open," I called, still gazing wistfully at my alarm clock.

The door opened and I continued my eulogy for my alarm clock. "Ah, you were but a humble alarm clock, carrying out your duties with minimal battery usage. You will be missed," I finished as I placed the pieces on my desk gently.

I turned to see Kaname looking at me curiously. "Imouto-chan really is a strange one."

"Yo, Kaname. What brings you to my humble abode? Here take a seat, have some coffee. Just relax and enjoy your stay..." I said and sat down on my bed. I patted the spot next to me, inviting him to sit beside me. He took the invitation.

"You should really be a bit more careful. I'm still a man, imouto-chan, who knows what could happen?" he caressed the side of my face with his hand. I quickly took his hand and removed it rom my face, smiling sweetly.

"So what can I do for you, Kaname?" I remembered how he'd slipped me most of his cake yesterday, and let what had just happened slide.

"Your caring onii-chan heard a loud noise when he was walking past. I wanted to check if my beloved little sister was okay... Oh, what's that?" he ran his thumb on my cheek bone and I felt a sharp pain. I held back a yelp, but it hurt quite a but, so I ended up wincing.

"What is it indeed?" I got up and went to the bathroom, looking at my face in the mirror. There was an angry dark blue bruise on my cheek bone. I must have gotten it when I fell. I poked it and winced again.

"Are you okay?" Kaname asked, appearing at the door.

I sighed and heaved myself onto the counter top. "It doesn't hurt that much," I lied. "It'll go away in a few days."

He walked to me and touched the bruise roughly. I winced a bit more than usual. "Ah, so it does hurt. Why would you lie about it?" he seemed a little hurt as he asked this.

"It doesn't hurt, I'm fine-" he pressed it again and I had to stop talking because of the pain .

"Maybe a little..." I admitted reluctantly. He stared at me adamantly.

"Okay, yes, it hurts, but I'll be fine! It'll go away," I said, a little despearate for him to believe me. "Please don't concern yourself," I added and regretted it straight away.

"So that's what this is about. Imouto-chan is too considerate and doesn't want to cause trouble for us, so she hides her pain and discomfort," he said matter-of-factly.

Again, I denied.

He looked at me seriously. "You shouldn't be afraid to tell us if you're hurt or uncomfortable. We want you to feel welcome in this home, part of the family."

I nodded guiltily. "Yes, Kaname."

He leaned in. "Call me onii-chan," he said teasingly.

I thought about it for a bit. "Yes, Kana... nii."

He smiled contentedly and walked away. Before he left, I heard him call. "Take care of yourself, i-mou-to-chan."

As soon as the door had closed my face burnt right up. Too close! Too close! Kaname- No, Kana-nii, your face was way too close! I jumped off the counter top and washed my face fervently. What's with all these brothers and their need for close contact?! And why are they all so damn good-looking?!

I banged my head against the countertop a few times. Pull it together, Yui! This isn't the first time you've come into contact with good-looking boys. You can handle this.

I looked at myself in the mirror determinedly. "Yui. You've got control over your own emotions. Don't let anyone else dictate who you want to be or what you want to do. Now you're going to go out there and have an absolutely amazing day!" I ordered myself.

I had a shower and put on my school uniform and padded back to the mirror to do my hair. Think I'll go with a low side-ponytail today. I packed my bag and went downstairs.

Ukyo was was making breakfast and no one else had woken up yet.

"Good morning!" I greeted enthusiastically.

Ukyo smiled and greeted me back. "Good morning. Breakfast won't be ready for a little bit."

I went into the kitchen and looked through the draws, grabbing an apron. "What can I do?"

"Oh, you can cook?"

"Well, I'm not as good as Ema, but I'm still pretty good," I replied confidently.

He smiled gratefully. "Well then, could you make the rice and cut the vegetables for now?"

I rolled up my sleeves and saluted. "Yes, sir!"

As I worked, Kana-nii's words rung in my ears.

Imouto-chan is too considerate.

Maybe I am a bit too considerate, but is there anything wrong with that?