Broken

Days went by; and the absence of Finn made Millie feeling a little better. She knew she could do what she wanted when he wasn't there, like, for instance, sneaking around in her favorite fraction of garden while reading a good book; or, even better, sneaking around without the fear someone would have touched her without her consent - and that was, for sure, the most important thing.

Also, she would have finally seen her father that same day, and she would have gone home for a whole weekend, leaving that crazy hell she fell in.

Yes. Things were slowly getting better.

But the thought of Finn was still hunting her. She didn't know why he took her to his bedroom that night of the week before; she didn't know why he didn't punish her for her behavior at the restaurant; she didn't know why he disappeared.

But why would she have thought of it? He said it almost clearly: "You are just a maid, and I'm the owner."

So, she decided to not think of him anymore. Even though Lilia and company asked her to help them to change their boss, the situation didn't mutate: he was still a piece of shit, the only difference was that he lived in London. He never stopped giving orders to Caleb — the poor man had enough, and Lilia always coordinated the house how he asked her. Gaten, who was the driver, offered Millie to take her home, and she couldn't be more happy about it.

He was exquisite; a nice person, wise, and funny as hell. She thought that Lilia was lucky to have found such a nice person.

They were sitting side by side in the shiny silver Mercedes Finn usually used for going around, and she could tell it by the way the air was filled by his jasmine scent; everything in that car reminded her of him. The pungent perfume, the pair of black Armani glasses on the dashboard, his leather backseat full of papers and documents....

"What are you looking at?" Gaten asked, smiling happily.

"Nothing. It's just... it's strange. This car is filled of his essence. And I don't know if it is a good or bad thing." Millie admitted shyly.

She rested her feet on the dashboard like she liked to, and she stared out of the window.

Yes. Things were better without him.

She repeated that phrase like a mantra, trying to convince herself that everything would have been fine.

Gaten noticed her melancholy and that was unusual; Millie used to light up the room with her laughs. Everybody in the mansion started to love her; she always helped people cleaning the floors - even if she ended her turn; or she helped Lilia in organizing everything.

But she missed her own bedroom, her previous life, her dad, something she couldn't have anymore. She was just sad, completely emotionless.

So, he tried to cheer her up a little bit.

"Y'know, this car is full of the best insults ever. He keeps insulting me and Caleb, but we are used to it. It's even funny uh, how he tries to be bad!"

Millie crossed her arms, letting out an almost pissed whisper.

"He is bad."

Gaten shook his head.

"He is an asshole. But not that bad. And... Millie, if he is that bad, why are you thinking of him?"

Millie frowned and looked at him in a surprised way; of course she wasn't thinking of him. She wasn't thinking about how he held her hand at the restaurant, or how he faked that kiss on her shoulder, or even how he had an adorable face when he had to pretend but in reality he just treated her like trash.