15- Acceptance of Fate (Kylee)

Breathe in and breathe out. Focus my energy.  Concentrate. Stay calm. Keep your wits about you. Be strong. These are the steps I taught myself years ago to seal my demon away back into the depths of my mind, where he’d be staying for a good long while.

It was never easy getting him back into his prison, Nightmare always put up a hell of a fight and brought out his monster dog to give him the advantage. It always left me a little drained but it was worth it…to keep the people around me safe. In blackness of a mind there is no magic-I’m on my own when fighting the two back into their prison of iron and chains; which is a shame because wits alone can’t put them back into their incarceration. Nightmare has had years to study the inner workings of my mind and has gladly taken advantage of that. Wits alone can’t save people, I need to have strength and be as cruel as he is too. That was his victory- turning me into what he was. Nightmare’s prime goal is to turn me into the monster he is. He wants my anger and rage to turn against me, for my sanity to completely leave me and for me to become a mindless, heartless killer. I refuse to become that without a fight.

“Kylee?” Caitlyn said. I growl; she’s lucky I just got done, or I would’ve messed up and Nightmare would lash out again.

“What?” I spat, opening one of my eyes. She’s looking down at me, standing there with a worried look on her face. After everything that happened on this trip I guess she would be worried. The kid’s too emotional for her own good. She’s never going to last when it comes her turn to join the family business. But I don’t care about that anymore; she and Mo were the ones who wanted to make their own decisions and stab me in the back to go to their precious turtles. As far as I care, they can learn the business the hard way now. Mom spent years training me to go in and eventually run it, seeing as I’m the oldest. Grandfather ran it before Mom, Mom is running it currently, and I’m going to run it after she’s done. This is my fate. Even though Becca and I are fraternal twins- I’m still the oldest of Mom and Dad’s brood by six hours and therefore entitled to leading the family business. While my sisters have a choice in where they’re going, I don’t. Why do they think I’m so tough on them and push them to do their best?

I’m not going to be there for them much longer. I want… or wanted them to be prepared for a world where I’m not going to be there as their body guard. But if my younger sisters believe they’re ready to live without me already- so be it. They’re on their own.

“It’s time to go home.” Caitlyn told me and I stood up. She looked up at me now, unsure. Yeah, I’d apologized the other night but that doesn’t mean I’ve forgiven them. A person can only be betrayed so many times without revoking trust.

“Right then, you three say your goodbyes?” I ask, somewhat detached. My sister nodded, pointing to our uncle and two sisters across the yard. I nodded, approving in a manner of ways and walking over. I said goodbye to Uncle Wyatt and giving him a quick hug (he told me to take it easy on myself and my sisters) and then I told Caitlyn to orb us home.

In a split second we were in our living room, it’s about nine o’ clock pm and the house as clean as Bec and I had left it. The girls went to their rooms to store their suitcases since they didn’t feel like unpacking yet. The girls decided not to go into too much detail and leaving out the whole Shadow possession all together, I really didn’t care whether they did or didn’t tell our parents- we’d all know it happened, and I will always know that it was my fault- like it always is.

The phone rang when my sisters sank down into the couch, commenting on how dad left one of his beer bottles on the table. I answered it, the phone was for me apparently.

“Miss Kylee Halliwell?” I heard a familiar voice say.

“Sato.” I greeted. Sato was an older man who worked under mom and trained the new recruits for the family business. I’d never had a class with him though, I was trained by dad when I was younger and then trained by mom the minute I turned twelve.