16- Discovery (Morgan)

Kylee never came home that night.  It wasn't long after she left that Becca holed herself up in her room, asking not to be disturbed while she caught up on homework.

Homework.  Psh.  Only she cares about the homework we missed out on for a week.  Myself, all I could think about was how much fun this last week of school was going to be before Christmas break.  Last school week of this year.  Charmy, Aimee and I always cause trouble around this time.  It's just kind of a tradition that everyone runs with.  Even the teachers.  Not only had we been up to no good since middle school, but we had left an impression.  The princeple wanted to do something about it, but what could he do?  Nothing we had done had ever been detention-worthy.

Thank God for that, I don't think I would live through my mother's disappointment.

I guess I should explain why I care so much what my mother thinks.  I can lie to my father, no sweat- but my mom is another story entirely.  Mom is really big on honor and discipline, you know?  Part of her Japanese heritage and stuff, I think.  But Mom always makes it very clear that no matter what, we're a family.  Fight together, lose together, work together, love...together.

Her opinion matters most to me because I know that she's disappointed in me, then there is no way that everyone else isn't, too.  I may push the limits, but I know what my mother expects and what she can accept.  I try to tell myself to think, "What would Mom think?", before I do something or other.  And because I'm me, my mom expects nothing less than for me to be myself.

Hilarious, witty, innocent, with a small side of immaturity and a big heart.  Mom is only disappointed when I become someone I'm not.

Needless to say, if Mom had been at the house that night, she would be very upset with me.

It was nearly 2 o'clock in the moning, and I was still awake.  Perched in the window -seat at the front of our house, I had a gray sweatshirt on with black sweats and the hood covering my slightly-damp hair.  My knees were pulled up to my chest, my arms around my shins, and my head leaning back against the wall.  One earbud was inserted into my ear, playing soft songs that I really wasn't listening to.

I tapped into my powers, once again checking in on my sisters.  Becca's emotions seemed dazed but sort of wrapped around Honors Chemistry, so I made the grand assumption that she was dozing off while studying.  Caitlyn was restless, unable to find sleep with her thoughts so jumbled.  It had taken a lot of coazing on my part to get her to go to bed, and I was still deciding if that had been the right decision.

I mean, come on.  Are you seeing how badly my mind is rambling?

Kylee may be the oldest, but that doesn't mean that's she the only one who's allowed to think.  The really cool thing about my thinking is that I don't have a temper that gets in my way.  Although, currently I'm sort of missing the smacking that comes from her room when she's working off her anger.

Morgan? You still awake?

I jumped, still not used to my younger sister's ability to talk with her mind.  Yeah...

Can I come down?  Please?  I can't sleep.

I sighed, rubbing my temple slightly.  Just stay in bed, Kat.  There's nothing down here except darkness.

The silence worried me.  ...Mo?  Are you okay?

Before I could even answer, she orbed into the room, her hair a very interesting mess.  I refrained from facepalming myself, but resumed to looking out the window.  "Yes, Caitlyn, I'm fine." I told her aloud.

"Morgan, I think we both need to go to bed." Kat said quietly.  

I shook my head once.  "I'm waiting up for Kylee."